Chapter 10

COLLAGE I MADE OF MAMMA NEWT

THOMAS POV:

I started to work with the other slices and cut some animals. I looked at the inside and felt my breakfast coming back up. I ran out of the building and started puking on the side. "Thomas you okay" asked a slicer walking up to me. "Ya just got sick from seeing that" I said. I puked some more. "Okay well, probably shouldn't come back inside then" said the slicer. He patted my back and left. I agree with him. If I can't be a runner then I should be anything but a slicer. How ever I'll ask Minho how to become a runner and if he thinks I'm good enough. Hope fully I am but I also need to learn to hide the exit from them. I spent the rest of the day helping the slicers with anything that won't make me hurl. Which is not much. I did deliver some of the meat to the cooks in the kitchen. It was really all I can do. At lunch I met up with Newt. "How'd being a slicer go" asked Newt. 

"I got sick and threw up" I said as we sat at the table. "You okay" asked Newt. We started eating. "I feel better right now, it just seeing the animals cut up like that that made me sick" I said. "Well you're not the first. A lot of greenies get sick with that job. So if you don't throw up then you have a chance to be a slicer" said Newt. "Ya I think I'll stick with being a runner" I said. "How do you plan to become one" asked Newt. "Well I first have to ask Minho if he thinks I'm good enough to be a runner" I said.

NEWT POV:

"Well you made quit a dash when you first came here but then you face planted so you could be a runner" I said. "Ya but I think I can do it. Besides one of us needs to work in the field" Thomas said. He leaned and whispered. "To make sure they don't find the exit" Thomas whispered. He sat back up straight. "Well after work tonight I can train you" I said. "Okay but what if the humans build a latter or something and climb over the maze with bridges" asked Thomas.

"After the vines snapped they tried that but the bridges broke and we lost 3 boys with that" I said. "Were any of them like us" asked Thomas. "No, we are the only ones that have ever been sent up" I said. No one was listening to us cause they were all to busy talking about stuff. "Where do the runners have lunch" asked Thomas. "In the maze, every morning after breakfast the runners pick up their sack lunches that the cooks made and head out to the maze. They are out there all day so they just eat it out there" I said. We finished eating and put our dishes up for the cooks to clean. After lunch I went back to the farm and Thomas had to help the slicers. He mostly just delivered the animals and meat. I worked on sorting the plants before we give them to the cooks. We sort the crops into baskets for each and get rid of the rotten ones. It's pretty easy. After work the runners later came back. Of course they didn't find anything. The only way out is threw the Griever tunnel but they can't get to it. Not with out killing a griever anyway.