will you marry me? - n.m

your mom got diagnosed with stage 4 cancer when you were 12. it was something that it took forever for your father and you to comes to terms with it. and to this day; 5 years later, you still haven't. it's been something you've found hard from day one. no one ever understood the pain other than nick. nick was always there for you.

y'all had known each other since preschool. you would always sneak out so you and nick could go on adventures together, it's always something that made you smile regardless of how the day before hand was, it was something y'all started to do once your mother passed. so you more or less knew him your whole life. his mother and your mom were best friends. it was hard for his mom to come to terms with her loss too; so at least you had her to talk to too.

your dad never liked nick. no matter how hard you tried, he just wasn't having it. you would set it up for your dad and nick to go on fishing trips, play basketball, video games and just about everything you could think of, but nothing seemed to work. until. something beyond your belief happened.

— 5 years ago —

your mom looks at your dad "hun. i know you don't like that nick guy but please. do me one thing.."
your dad nods "okay but for you"
your mom smiled "promise me that if he ever asks for your permission to marry out baby girl, please say yes. i just want her happy. and he's not as bad as you think"
your dad smiled "you know. i hate when you're right. y/n definitely gets that from you!"

a few weeks later, your mom passed.

— current day —

12:30am

you hear rocks being throw just below your window and quickly open it up to see nick down in the alley between y'all's houses "adventure? just like the old days?"

you smiled "nick. it's 12:30am. can't we wait til at least sunrise?"

nick smiled "no i think you're not gonna wanna miss this one! grab your board and meet me down here in 5!"

you did as he said, confused but smiling the whole time. you climb down the road he left there from the 4th grade. and look at nick as you land. you see flowers laid on the ground in a heart

 you see flowers laid on the ground in a heart

you look at nick confused as you've ever been... "nick. what's all this?"

nick gets down on one knee "we've known each other our whole lives, you've been my best friend from day one and from then on and i knew i wanted more. our family thought it was a brother/sister kinda relationship but i knew it was something else. this...." he paused as he opened the box with a ring inside "y/f/m/l/n. will you marry me?"

you smiled with tears running down your face "yes! a thousand times yes!"

he spins you around, as he does. you see your dad standing there teary eyed. as soon as nick puts you down you walk over to him "dad.. i thought you didn't like nick?"

your dad smiled "i didn't... but your mom did"
you held onto your dad giving him one long hug

"spend the night there. then tomorrow we'll move you in" your dad said in the hug
you pulled away "i love you dad"

your dad wiped his tears "i love you too bug. your mother would be so proud of you right now"

you smiled and walked over to nick. y'all spent the rest of the night just talking. you couldn't believe what just happened. you were the happiness you'd ever been since your mom passed. it was something you knew she wanted; which made the moment 10x happier for you

psa; y/f/m/l/n is short for your first middle and last name 😂