bonus chapter (3)

April 4th 2028, Holmes Chapel

"Mummy," Theo called me as I was quickly making his bed, "where did you put my card for Amber and Ivy?" 

"It's in here, love," I replied as I opened the bedside table's drawer, 

"Do you think they'll like it?" he asked as he took a seat next to me, 

"They will certainly love it," I gently kissed his forehead, "it will be the best present they get," I smiled, "will you help me make some cupcakes?" 

"Chocolate ones?" his eyes lit up, 

"Sure," I nodded before walking downstairs with my little man. 

Today, it was Amber and Ivy's fourth birthday and we had a nice day planned for them. Two years after having Theo, who was now seven years old, getting pregnant with twins definitely wasn't in the plan but, in hindsight, it had been one of the best things that had happened to us. We were very lucky parents: we had encountered the usual struggles, such as lack of sleeping or feeling helpless after hours of cries,  but Theo was the sweetest boy and the girls were the loveliest. Being a mother, experiencing and learning new things with them - because of them - every day was my favorite thing and, being able to do it with Harry, made it even more special. 

Even if I had no doubt about it before, seeing Harry with his kids only made me fall in love with him more. He was the most loving, patient, caring father and, no matter what, he always put them - us - first. He could have been on the other side of the world and, if I told him we needed him, he'd immediately drop what he was doing to come to us. 

"Will you finish this one?" I asked Theo as I placed the last cupcake on the plate, "while I go get your sisters and daddy," 

"How should I do that?" he asked and I told him to lay them down as he pleased, reassuring him it'd be beautiful. For some reason, contrary to his sisters who already acted like they were queens, he was an insecure child at times so I always encouraged him to do these little things to make him believe in his abilities more. 

As I walked into our room, I was surprised to see Harry cuddling with Amber and Ivy in bed. Even if I was used to it by now, the sight melted my heart,

"What have we got in here?" I said as I took a seat on the bed, "my two gorgeous birthday girls," 

"Mummy!" Ivy threw herself at me and wrapped her arms around me, "am I really getting old?" she asked, making both Harry and I burst out laughing, "I don't think I want to grow up," 

"Baby," I giggled, "why don't you want to grow old?" 

"I want to grow up," Amber said, "because you get presents when it's your birthday," she continued, "and daddy promised me I'll get to stay in bed with him however long I want since it's my birthday," 

"Did he, now?" I smiled at Harry, who sleepily giggled, "what if I told you that your brother is waiting downstairs and we've made your favorite cupcakes?" I asked and, in a matter of a few seconds, the two girls jumped off the bed and ran downstairs, yelling, 

"You're unbelievably unfair," Harry teasingly shook his head, "you bribed them," 

"Are you coming or what?" I smirked at him, who was already getting out of bed, with an amused look on his face,

"Am I at least getting a kiss or what?" he grabbed my wrist, turned me around and, indeed, kissed me, "we can go now," he cheekily smiled before gently slapping my bum and making me burst out laughing. 

We quickly reached them and we realized they were already sat in their place, with their plates in front of them, impatiently waiting for us to join them. I gave Theo the thumbs up as I saw his work and he gave me the biggest grin, making me melt.