54. You Got a Friend In Me

July 1st 2015, New York

"A penny for your thoughts?" Jack asked me as he took a seat next to me on the couch. He had been my personal guide for the last couple of days. He had taken me to every hidden spot he knew in the city... You know, those spots that only New Yorkers (and, now, me) were aware of, so I had decided to invite him over to have brunch together and to thank him.

Honestly, my thoughts were worth more than a penny. Probably thousands of dollars. Yes, I had been caught thinking about Harry once again. Weird, right? Not really.

"I've come to New York to... to get my mind off something that really... hurt me" I slowly admitted, "but I can't stop thinking about it... I haven't been able to do so ever since it happened..." I sighed, "and I don't even know why I'm telling you this"

"You know...if someone were to ask me what's wrong with you, I wouldn't know how to answer..." he turned around, "so you haven't actually said anything I didn't already know" he silently giggled, "I could tell that you were... hurt"

"Really?" I asked surprised since I was convinced I could hide my feelings and fool anyone by smiling and laughing with them

"Yeah" he nodded, "your eyes are sad..." he stared at me and I immediately looked down, "I'm definitely not going to force you, but talking about it, especially to a stranger, could do you some good" he placed his hand on my thigh and stroke it

"And here I was, thinking we were already besties..." I raised my eyebrow, "but we're only strangers to you" I joked and he laughed at me, "long story short: I caught my best friend kissing my boyfriend" I finally admitted

"Oh," he stayed silent for a few seconds, "w-wow... I don't know what to say... other than wow honestly"

"Yeah... that was the best night of my life" I joked

"You know what we should do?" his eyes lit up, "we should turn this sadness into art" he stood up and walked towards the entrance. I stared at him with curiosity as kneeled next to his backpack. He dug through it and pulled out his camera, right before turning to face me with the biggest grin on his face, "fuck them, we're gonna create a masterpiece" he said, making me giggle at him.

"We should start by taking them in the kitchen" he said, "the light in there is amazing!" he walked there so I followed him and took a seat at the table.

"You have to tell me what to do... I'm no professional here" I giggled

"You could be a model honestly" he shrugged, "and I don't want to be mean but... just think about them... how they hurt you and I'll do the rest," he said and my mood immediately changed. I looked away, heard him whisper something like "perfect" right before I heard a click sound. How could he be so blunt and ask something like that? I had no idea, but it was working... my mind was already somewhere else: on that damn rooftop. I felt doomed. I felt lost. Why did he have to leave me like that? I hated him. I hated the fact that I still loved him. Was it ever gonna be okay?

"I love the silky shirt you're wearing but... could you change into something cozier?" Jack's voice brought me back to reality. I nodded and walked towards the bedroom. I heard him following me but didn't turn around.

"Is this okay?" I raised a casual green dressing gown

"Yes!" he squealed, "you could wear it with the black bralette under... it's perfect," he said, "we can just stay here... you go and lay on the bed" he said and I did as I was told. I could tell he was really passionate about it so I didn't want to ruin the moment for him.

He instructed me on what to do and we spent an hour or so just taking pictures. He made me feel comfortable, which was weird because I didn't really enjoy being pictured, especially while feeling so vulnerable.