79. Leather And Lace

January 16th 2017, New York

"Just think about how we can improve these lyrics" Pat held the door for me,  "have fun, don't get too drunk tomorrow and I'll see you in Los Angeles in a week" he quickly hugged me before disappearing into the nightly New York lights. 

It was currently 10.30 P.M. and I was finally going home after a day spent in the studio with my team and some producers. I had a few months off but, truth to be told, I often got bored and I missed making music so I was constantly in different studios, with different people, writing. I was experimenting with my music and it was fun. Contrary to the past, I didn't have a deadline for my new single/album but it obviously couldn't take me years to release something new. 

"What are you up to babe? x" I read on the screen of my phone as I finally closed my door's house.

"Just got home and I'm about to smash a whole pizza. Why are you already awake? lol"  I immediately texted back. 

"That hungry? haha I couldn't sleep :(" he answered, and, as I was thinking of my reply, I heard the doorbell ring. I didn't consider myself a paranoid human being but, when someone rang my bell at 11 P.M. and I was alone in my huge loft in New York, I really turned into an anxious person. No one knew my address but, being in the public eye, I knew I could have been an easy target to any madman. I tried to move as quietly as I could before looking through the peephole. I didn't see anything so I panicked even more but, still, I felt curious. I slowly opened the door and noticed something on the floor: a heart-shaped copper helium balloon, tied to an envelope. I picked it up, opened it up and read:

 "My dearest Jade, grab your coat and head downstairs. 

A car is already waiting for you. 

You'll certainly recognize it.

Enjoy the ride. 

Since the card had been written on the typewriter, I didn't know who had sent it, even if I had someone in mind. Nevertheless, I put my jacket on and rushed down. As I exited the building, I saw a pastel pink old style Fiat 500 (aka the car of my dreams) and a chauffeur ready to open the door for me. As soon as he saw me, he politely greeted me and let me in. I sat on the passenger seat and, for some reason, I already felt emotional. 

"Where are we going?" I asked him, as he started the engine 

"It's a secret," he smiled and drove away. The journey was silent but I really enjoyed the quietness. I focused on seeing the city from the vintage automobile and tried to take every little detail in with me. 

"Miss, please, follow me," he said as he opened the door for me again. I did as I was told and recognized we were entering the former home of Henry Clay Frick, an art museum. We were welcomed by a lovely man, which walked me towards a "very secretive and special place": the cellar of the mansion, that apparently hid a private bowling alley. As we reached the destination, I saw another helium balloon in the middle of the room, but this time, it was tied to a huge box. 

"Go ahead," the man said, "I'll be waiting outside, just give me the heads up when you're done" he smiled, so I walked towards the box and opened the letter once again:

" "Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." -Victor Hugo " 

I read before opening the package. As I did, I immediately recognized a pastel pink Crosley Record Player and Al Green's I'm Still In Love With You vinyl. I couldn't help myself and grinned at the sight, everything made sense: Harry was trying to tell me something and, even if I was just realizing it in that moment, I had been waiting for it for a long time.