66. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Before you read, I wanted you to know that you may have missed yesterday's update because Wattpad didn't notify anybody for some weird reason. If you haven't read the 65th chapter, go ahead and read it before this one, or things won't make sense (in the future chapters especially). Thanks x

December 24th 2015, Manchester

"Mum" I said, "we can't stay in here for hours you know..." I puffed at her. It was probably the busiest morning of the year at the mall and we had had the brilliant idea to go there and do the last bit of shopping before the big day: Christmas. This was my favorite time of the year. The decorations, the carols, the gifts, the food... everything felt special to me... and I was really happy to be able to spend a few days with my family, but, at the same time, I was hoping that my mother would just hurry up. We were, indeed, stuck in a bakery because she was indecisive on the perfect cake for the dinner. As a tradition, I was going to cook my usual cupcakes but, this year, she said that they weren't enough for some weird reason. 

"Pudding or the fruitcake?" she asked

"I don't know mum..." I sighed, "fruitcake?"

"This one's not too... beautiful, is it?" she lowered her voice

"Not really" I giggled 

"You know where we should go?" she asked, "to that bakery you used to love when you were younger... you know the one in Holmes Chapel?" 

"Sure" I nodded, even if I was dreading inside, "we can stop by on our way home" I said, "but, now, let's go look for something for James" I said, as I hadn't found - or should I say looked for - a gift for my brother yet. The thing was that my brother had a peculiar taste in everything so, every single year, I avoided buying something until the very last minute. 

"You do this every year, Jade" she rolled her eyes at me, "will you ever learn?"

"It's not my fault your son is a pain and never likes anything" I shrugged 

"You were in New York... in London... in Los Angeles" she said, "you'll never find something better in this mall, love"

"You're so wrong" I giggled, "I have a perfect idea: I'll buy him the new iPhone... grey" 

"Don't waste your money on something so expensive" she lectured me, "he doesn't need it"

"Mum..." I bit my lip, "I think I can afford a phone now" 

"Don't give me that look" she said with a weird strictness in her voice, "just because you're a VIP, or whatever you wanna call yourself, don't even think about becoming one of those brats that throw their money in the bin" 

"There's no chance, mum" I said, "I only wanna spoil my family a little bit... what's wrong with it?" 

"Then let's go to the Apple Store and buy whatever you want" she started walking. I could tell she was still kind of mad at me for what I had said so I hugged her from behind and made her laugh. I had such a nice relationship with my mother and felt grateful for her every day. We were close. She had always supported me and, even now, I couldn't go more than two days without talking to her. No matter where I was, I always made sure to call her.

In the end, I was able to convince her and bought the damn iPhone 6S plus. I was able to buy some bits and pieces for a few friends too and felt satisfied by the end of our little trip. As we left the mall, it was already lunch time. 

"I'm so hungry!" I yelled as I entered my black Range Rover

"Well, you're waiting until we get home" she shrugged