PAGE 31

~~

"Hello?" you said as you answered a call

"Hey, where are you?" Jung Kook was on the other line.

"Ahmm ... Im on my way", you answered. It was 6:50PM on the clock and you just got out of your building. You had estimated the time from your 7pm meet up with your best friend and you thought that it was just right.

"Come here quickly!" he commanded as he laughed lightly.

"Ara~ I'll be there before 7. See yah!" you said excitedly. Jung Kook then said bye and hung up.

You're best friend have a habit to always arrive ahead of time. And at present, even when you were younger, you find it tedious. You always have to move ahead of time to catch up on him.

~~

"Hey ... " you said as you arrived at the shop. He was sipping his cup of tea. He stood up and took a kiss in your cheek as a greeting. You were shocked with the brushing of cheeks and stared at him.

"Oh ... sorry." He apologized. "It's kind of a ...",  he scratched his forehead. "A practice in London to greet that way", he explained.

"Ohhh ..." you said as you nod then took your seat. He then took his seat, too.

"Your frappe will be here in few minutes", he said and smiled. He ordered your favorite frappe beforehand and told the crew to serve it when you arrive.

"Thank you", you said. "You really didn't forget my favorite flavor, huh?" you said nagging him.

"Of course!" he said. "and then later, we're going to eat your favorite food", he added and winked.

"Oh really!?

"Uh- huh" he answered, nodding with a smile

"That sounds great!" you exclaimed with excitement.

The two of you began chatting. Time passed and it was time to eat, dinner's a little late at 8pm but it was fine since you two were enjoying your company.

During your story telling, he mentioned that he never had a girlfriend in London. He said that every time someone would confess to him, he's turning them down for one reason. And that is because he was already and allegedly engaged to you. He always joked it that way.

You two continued sharing stories even in the second restaurant for dinner.

"On the 6th grade, I was almost kicked out," he said laughing.

"What!?" your eyes grew big. "No way!" Why?" you giggled.

"Small thing, petty reason", he answered shrugging. "I put a mouse in my teacher's drawer", he said.

Laughing out loud, it was hard for you to believe that your kind best friend actually grew up to be really naughty and troublemaker in London. How would you know anyway? He was not even calling you.

"Then why you didn't call, not even once?" you asked him.

He almost choke from drinking his soda and said, " Im sorry. But calling overseas is expensive!" he said laughing.

You pinched his shoulder as you heard his cynical reason. He was laughing so hard, and you too. That's how noisy were the two of you at the restaurant.

"I also have a small room of letters for you," he said shyly.

"That's mental," you said not believing him and shaking your head.

"It's not!" he opposed. "Since the time I came to London, when we were like ... like seven years old, I began writing to you ... almost every day," he revealed.

You laughed with his shyness.

"But you didn't send it to me. Not even one," you tried to tease him.

"It's because I don't have the courage to send it", he said taking a big bite from his burger. He had burger for dinner while you have your favorite pasta.

"Aish!" you said "It's just a letter! What's bad in sending it?" you asked him.

He smiled at you and played his aegyo. "Sorry", he said after swallowing his food, "But you'll know why soon enough."

"Soon?" you repeated it with a questioning stare.

He again took a big bite and smiled and tapped your nose with his finger.

~~

"It was nice spending time with you," you said as the two of you stopped in front of your apartment. After eating and spending a little time walking on the park nearby, you two decided to go home since you still have classes tomorrow.

"Yeah. I hope we can do this more often", he said as he put his hands in his pockets.

"Ah ... for that matter," you uttered as you remembered Jin's request.

'Ask him to stay away from you', Jin's voice echoed.

"Did he ask you to tell me that I should stay away from you?", he questioned. His sense is really something. Most of the time, he's gut-feels are right. And here it was again, he caught you. He sighed and looked at you, "Tell him I won't." You can feel the authority in his words.

"But ... Jin and I are ...," you said as you bowed your head a little.

"I got it," he said as he lifted your head to face him. He greeted you with a smile. But that smile wasn't real. You knew it.

"But still, I will never stay away from you", he was firmed in his words.

Silence evaded the moment.

"Jung Kook ...," you opened your mouth. "Why are you doing this?" you asked him.

He looked at the sky and took a deep breath. "I'm doing the right thing for me," he looked at you. "And that is to love you", he said.

You were speechless. Your best friend ... your young love ... yes, Jung Kook loves you. But after so many years that you have waited, why now? Why now? 

He was a little late.

"Hey!", he said bringing you back to your senses. He smiled and took a step closer to you.

"Just let me love you... will you?", he said and kissed you in your cheek. After that simple kiss, he said bye and walked away without even waiting you to react or say something useless.

Following him by your eyes, he stopped and turned back at you and exclaimed, "My place is just two buildings away from you! Good night!", and then he waved with two arms up, crossing each other. 

You too waved goodbye and smiled before he resumed walking home.

~~