Chapter Eight: Friendly Date with Ian

“Hey, thanks for help,” Evan said, blushing slightly with embarrassment “And don’t tell anyone about this, okay?”

            I nodded and grinned. “You can trust me.” He gave me one last smile and closed the door of his room. I sighed and went downstairs to see Ian, watching TV, his expression blank. When he saw me, he smiled.

            “I’m happy my brother left you alone now,” Ian said, chuckling.

            I rolled my eyes. “All he need is help.”

            “For what?”

            I shrugged. “Never mind.” I sat beside him and watched whatever what was on TV. I scowled when I saw what it was. It was football and I can’t understand a thing from it.

            Ian saw my expression and laughed. He switched off the TV and turned to look at me. “Victoria, can I ask you a question?”

            I frowned. “Depends. What question is it?”

            “Just a yes or no will be fine. You don’t have to explain why or why not.”

            “Okay.”

            He took a deep breath and looked at me straight in the eyes. “Do you want to go on a date with me tomorrow night?”

            I looked away and moved uncomfortably on my seat. Suddenly, everything seems like uncomfortable and awkward. Of course, this is not my first time that someone asks me to go out with him after Lance. Truth to be told, there were a lot who was relieved when Lance and I broke up and some guys asked me to go out with them. But I turned them down.

            But asking Ian me out feels so… right. I want to say yes but I couldn’t find my voice and I don’t know why. Maybe because I still have feelings for Lance even though he’s a heartless bastard. Maybe because I vowed never to date ever again and be a spinster in the future. But why does saying yes would be so perfect? Why does saying yes would be so right? Why does saying no would be so wrong?

            I turned to face Ian again to see him raising his eyebrows, still waiting on me. I sighed. “Why, Ian?”

            He shrugged and looked away. “Why do I want to go on a date with you? Well, because I like you, Victoria. But not as a girlfriend, don’t worry.” He gave me a sheepish smile. “As a friend. We could go on a friendly date.”

            I sighed in relief and chuckled. “I thought you’re going to ask me out in a date. You know… a serious date,” I said, grinning at him.

            “Uh… yeah,” Ian said and laughed awkwardly.

            I should be relieved, shouldn’t I? I should be happy that this is just a friendly date and not a serious one. But why do I feel so disappointed because it’s not a serious date? I slapped my face mentally. I shouldn’t be disappointed. Why would I?

            He cleared his throat. “So is that a yes?”

            I nodded. “Sure, of course. But tomorrow night is Tuesday night. It’s a school day and Vince won’t let me out. How about Friday night?”

            “Sounds good to me,” Ian said, smiling.

            I grinned. “Great, then!”

            Ian gave me one last smile and looked away. I raised my eyebrow. Is he ignoring me or something? I hope not…