Chapter Four: My Brother and Best Friend?!

It was raining on a Saturday afternoon and I was inside my house with Miranda and Suzanne, dripping wet. I shivered. “I know we should have brought your truck.”

            Miranda gave me a look. “I didn’t know it would rain, okay? Jeez.”

            Suzanne sneezed. “I think I have colds,” she said, sniffing.

            We decided to spend our Saturday morning in the park, having a picnic. Obviously, it was Suzanne’s idea. Miranda’s ideas of fun is going to a club, dancing like there’s no tomorrow.

            Unfortunately, exactly one-thirty in the afternoon, it started to rain lightly. At first, we weren’t scared or nervous because of it. We fixed up the picnic and decided to go back to my house. When we left the park, lightning flashed and the rain was getting heavy.

            I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and when I turned, there was Vince, holding up three towels. He tossed one to me and to Miranda, while he walked to Suzanne and dried her up himself.

            I raised my eyebrow.. I’m the sister—shouldn’t I be the one who he should dry up?

            He caught my look and he laughed. “Jealous much?”

            I glowered at him. “Hell, no. I know how to dry up myself, thank you very much,” I snapped. Then I gave him a sly smile. “I know you don’t love me the way you love Suzanne.”

            Suzanne blushed and pushed Vince away, drying herself. “I can do it. Thank you for your unnecessary concern.”

            Vince rolled his eyes, sighing. “Fine.”

            “I’ll go shower first!” Miranda announced.

            “I’m after you,” Suzanne and I said in unison.

            I frowned. “It’s my house.”

            Suzanne rolled her eyes. “Let’s settle this in an adult and mature way,” she commanded.

            After a game of rock-paper-scissors that I won, I smiled triumphantly. “Ha! I won!”

            Suzanne sighed. “Whatevs.”

            After the three of us showered, we sat down on my couch, watching TV. Suzanne was still sneezing and sniffing. “Damn, I think I need to go home now.”

            “You sure?” I frowned at the weather. “It’s still raining like crazy outside. Besides, your Mom doesn’t drive.”

            Yes, that’s Suzanne’s Mom. She never drives—maybe because she had an accident when she was a teenager. I like Suzanne’s Mom. She’s sweet, caring and overprotective. She’s like Suzanne, except her Mom is a little bit crazier than her.

            Suzanne’s Dad is a photographer of the Vogue magazine in Paris. He’s away most of the times but he comes back whenever he has time. I also like Suzanne’s Dad. He’s kind of weird and a little bit immature—just like Vince.

            I smiled secretly. Suzanne’s parents are like her and Vince.

            My eyes wandered to Miranda’s vacant face as she was watching a show. Her past is more disturbing than other people I know. As I said, Miranda’s parents divorced when she was only a little girl because her Dad cheated on her Mom.