Chapter Fifty-Nine: Me and You

- 2 months later -

Amara

I felt the chill of the floorboards right through my legs and up my spine, frantically looking around for my slippers and spotting them, I rushed beside the bed and slid my feet inside. Dropping the towel I held on the bed then tightening my ponytail for the umpteenth time, I opened the door and started down the hall. 

Carmyne had been taken off my hands so often lately, I'd barely had enough time alone with my own child. She was about five months old now and happiest in the morning, so whoever got her first would spent the next three hours with her. It was a constant competition. I could hear the giggles before I reached the kitchen.

"What purpose do I serve, honestly?" I shook my head at Alex as she cooed my baby into drinking her milk. She smiled up at me without offering a response, I shrugged to myself pulling out some things to make breakfast.

I heard the pitter patter of Claire, Abrielle and Joane before they appeared. Claire tossing her hair about as she took a seat, followed by Abrielle who yawned and Joane who was rubbing her eyes curiously. I stopped to eye them, they'd gone out again last night and I hadn't seen them return. It was fine, they had a couple of the boys with them but it was becoming a regular thing. Which if you ask me, isn't the most attractive thing.

"What would you ladies like?"

"Aw, thanks mom." Claire mocked, I sent her a glare.

Abrielle cut in, "We're fine with anything Amara."

I nodded continuing with the cooking, Joane had a curious look directed at me so I sent her a look as if saying 'might as well ask.' She followed through, "You've been quite motherly since we moved in, now that I think about it."

I shrugged, "Well before Donna was the mother of the house, things kind of happened and I didn't know much. Now I feel a little responsible for everyone, making sure this house runs smoothly too."

She pouted her lips, nodding slowly in agreement.

"You're cute." Claire commented grabbing the carton of OJ from the fridge and pouring a glass for herself, ever since her newfound unemployment she's been minus ten years in maturity. From mid-twenties to sixteen in a week, the transition had shocked most of us. I was trying hard to think of another hobby she could take up, bored Claire was not fun Claire.

Putting aside Claire's inconsiderate attitude, I turned from the stove gesturing to the carton and asking if anyone else wanted some - earning myself a look from Claire. The minuscule tension passed but at some point an argument may break out about 'who I have a problem with' which I wasn't looking forward to. 

A thump sounded from upstairs but we paid it no mind, we quickly learnt that Mike's room was above the kitchen and he moved in his sleep, so his alarm every morning was falling off his bed. The loud noise he makes wakes up most of the other guys since it triggers their mafia senses or something, only twenty minutes later we're graced by the boys - walking single file down the stairs and to the kitchen. They share a lot of habits.

Dominic typically wakes up when I do - courtesy of my lack of gentleness whilst waking up - but he chooses to sleep in, that is until the boys come down. He doesn't like the idea of the boys being down here alone, with the girls - predominantly his sister and myself. So he follows suit.

As soon as everyone sat down the conversations started, Abrielle helped me dish out and everyone ate. Once a person finished they continued to sit there, we hadn't found much to do as of recently and so mornings were pretty slow. 

"Everything that comes out of your mouth is a string off bullsh-t." Dominic commented annoyed at Mike's stories, he was always travelling and had plenty of tales to share.