Chapter Forty-Two: Sitter

Dominic

Balancing all these things was not easy, the task of making them in the first place was already difficult but the carrying was just pure nonsense. I tactfully used my elbow to push down the door handle and nudged the door open with my shoulder. I held napkins in my mouth like a dog and was probably breathing as irregularly as one too. 

I propped the tray onto the bedside table whilst Amara began waking up, I heard a sniff and then the sudden movement of bed linen. Her blonde head popped up over the covers, she eyed the frittatas I'd made.

"Woah." she gasped. I chuckled.

"Buongiorno bellissima." I stood scratching the back of my neck.

"Guten morgen Dominic." she smiled before turning her attention back to the food, "What have you made?" she watched with wide eyes, resting her head in both hands.

I moved the tray to the flat end of the bed, climbed on top and held one up. "Miniature Italian Frittatas."

"What's it made of?" she shuffled closer.

I smiled, "There's bacon, egg, chives, garlic and lots of cheese."

She breathed, "Woah."

"Come here." I nodded for her to move over, she blushed but did as I asked. "Ah." I signalled for her to open her mouth by demonstrating with my own - she frowned before opening her mouth wide. I fed her one of the frittatas and had to stop myself from doing anything as she moaned at the taste. "Good?" I asked.

"Amazing." she bounced.

My cellphone went off on my side of the bed, I grabbed it - took one look at the contact - and tossed it to Amara. Who now held a phone in one hand and a frittata in the other. I laid back onto her lap so I could stare at the ceiling whilst eavesdropping on the conversation.

"Hello." she answered holding the frittata close to her mouth incase she needed to take a quick bite, I heard a little voice on the other side. "We miss you guys already!" she replied to something whilst looking longingly at the frittata, I watched with a smirk on my face.

The weird look wiped off her voice and she suddenly frowned, "Say what?"

I heard a loud 'please' coming from Claire's end of the conversation, "No way." was Amara's exasperated reply as she tried to adjust herself under my weight.

"C'mon." Claire would've had to have been whining really loud if I could hear it this clearly and I wasn't even the one holding the phone. "I honestly don't have another option, and plus aren't you striving to be better people or some bullsh-t? Help a girl out, I promise you'll have my owing you for a long time - wouldn't want to pass that up if I was you."

"Fine." she rolled her eyes then sent me a worried look, "You're lucky I actually like kids."

She cut the phone tossing it a the pillow, I raised a brow. She stopped mid-air from biting her frittata and reluctantly explained to me. "Claire wants us to take care of your nephew, it was meant to be her job today but she got called into work - something about this new design she's working on with Adidas - having a fallout. Apparently they needed her in ASAP. She couldn't trust anyone other than us with the kid." she cross-eye stared at her frittata, "We have to go pick him up." she ended before taking the long awaited bite.

I sat up, "I'll go get him."

"Are you sure?" she swallowed grabbing another from the tray.

I smirked, "Just let me go and finish your frittatas."  I stood up bending over to peck her forehead, "Addio bambino."