Chapter Fifty-Three: Waddle

Dominic

"Oh my god! Look at this!" she held up little booties, "It's so cute."

"I agree." I nodded, "But they're pink."

She put them back and turned to me, "Yeah and?"

"Well," I moved something else that was on the shelf to face the front, "Don't you think we should wait until we know what gender it is before we start buying stuff, though it would probably be best to buy blue ones. If it's a girl then she can wear them with a blue dress or something, but if it's a boy we have to find pink boy clothes. Which is just a pain."

"You're overthinking this." She placed a hand on my shoulder as she walked past.

We'd been parading the Baby Bunting store for about forty minutes now, we had an appointment with the sonologist this afternoon for the ultrasound and we didn't want to be travelling back and forth through the city. Too much attention and too much sunlight, we'd become almost like vampires recently.

"We should do something fun tomorrow or something."

Amara walked around into the next aisle, "Oh yeah, like what?"

I followed, "Go to the beach."

She laughed for about twenty seconds then replied, "You know what? Sure."

"Okay cool." I moved another object to face the front. Didn't the people working here have any sense for presentation? None of this stuff was facing the front.

--

"Man its quiet in here." Amara commented only just before gasps and voices were heard from down the hall, I snorted.

"Mr and Mrs Vitiello?" my ears perked up and we both got up to follow the nurse. I'd almost forgotten we hadn't gotten married yet, the married couple act was stuck though so might as well keep it up until it's official.

I tried not to laugh as 'Mrs. I Don't Need Help' struggled to climb the bed herself, so I had to help her but she was bitter about it. As time passed she got bigger and more frustrated, she was so used to just doing things for herself and on her own. I wanted her to understand that this is our baby, so we both need to be in it – together.

She soon got over it, holding my hand tight as the nurse started doing her job. She spread around the jelly stuff on Amara's stomach then started searching through darkness, I started to get distracted by the actual machine. I wonder how it works.

Amara tugged at my arm, causing me to look at her but my attention soon turned back to the machine – the screen this time. On the screen was a little greyscale person modelling the fatal position, almost sleeping like a fairy.

"Well it's definitely a girl." The woman said moving the thing around a little more, "Congratulations, girls are the best."

"Of course they are." Amara smiled. I did a bit of a tight-lipped shady look around causing her to laugh a little, but I did agree. Girls are the best.

-

We stood in the waiting room looking around and trying not to make eye contact with other couples in the room, the nurse came rushing down the hall carrying the envelop that encased images of our little girl. Amara thanked the lady, holding the envelop tight to her chest and we headed out to the car.

Amara

Dominic seemed a bit in a daze, like he was floating. He was extremely happy but not quite there, I could tell. Soon he'd come to reality a little bit and he was totally going to freak out.