Chapter Fifty-Eight: Massacre

Santo

"Go!" I waved my hand in dismissal of them, Claire's eyes growing wider and my wife's becoming more teary by the minute. Leo stood by the door with his head hung and several of our men standing behind him.

"I-" Donna began speaking once again but I wouldn't have it.

I interrupted, "Just go, this won't turn out well. You'd be better off."

"Okay." Claire turned around nodding once at Leo as he opened the door for her, once she stepped out Leo followed and the men trailed behind him. Donna gave me a weary look, she hesitated but eventually gave up the fight, seeing as I wasn't moving a muscle. She shook her head slightly, walking out after the group. She could see just as well as I, this family was no more.

A threat had arrived last night and this morning a few of our men were assassinated. My first instinct was to send out some agents but the few we had were nowhere to be found, the rumours floating around the house of them abandoning the familia to join Dominic were not to my liking either. 

I told Donna to take the kids and leave, Claire and Leo had already planned to join Dominic along with the several men who had been close with Dominic growing up. When I'd heard of the establishment Dominic was suspected of building I knew the kid was prepared - so I sent them away.

A loud explosion went off in the left wing, many of my men held their arms ready to attack. Dominic had refused to help us and this was the result of that, no one was to blame but him. All the women and children had been evacuated this morning, and the estate was coming to an end. There were many memories here, this had been my empire. Now it was his turn.

Dominic

I wasn't expecting anyone who stayed behind to survive, many members of the familia were branching out to live normal lives and the few that wanted the same environment graced our doorstep now. 

Alex and Alfie, my mother, Claire and her model friends, Leo with Mike and my boys, the twins and the others were also here. Five moving trucks graced the long driveway of the secluded estate and rooms were being allocated by Amara upstairs. I marked the different boxes being brought in with the letters of names as the movers went up the stairs.

After all the boxes had been brought in I paid the movers and watched the trucks as they disappeared through the trees, on the small road that lead back to the highway. I'd chosen an area that was pretty difficult to spot unless you actually knew where it was, as you were turning in it looked like normal grass and so the impression of it just being forest was disorienting for whoever drove past.

As I walked back to the house my mother stood out front, I approached her wary of her motives. I stood just a mere few steps away from her, she closed the gap engulfing me in a very motherly hug, blubbering apologies in italian and not taking a breath until she was done. I assured her it wasn't a problem, the past was the past after all though I can only imagine how much Claire had put her through. The child was terrible with grudges.

After the small reunion with my mother, clearing the air about a couple things - we walked back inside. Everyone sat in the living area. "Welcome." I smiled at the people who sat before me, there was quite a handful of children - most of which we'd met at the party. 

A round of 'grazie's erupted around the room as everyone thanked us for allowing them to stay here, we waved off the thanks of course as it was what we'd intended. "You didn't think we'd build a place this big for just ourselves did you?" Amara chuckled.

Once the pleasantries had been exchanged, drinks were handed out and Leo started a barbecue for dinner. It was already looking so positive, this had been a wise decision.