Chapter One: A Change

*Edited*

Amara

As I drove past the world was a blur, getting away from everything was what I'd wanted for the past few months and now that I was getting it, I felt free. A small part of me couldn't help but feel sad, feel like I'd lost more than I could gain but then again I still had yet to see how much I could gain from this move.

Making the life changing decision to move from the easy life in Canada to here in New York City, it had been hard and almost didn't happen due to my friends pressuring me into staying. But nothing could change my mind, especially after what happened. I just couldn't say back there any longer.

Thanks to my father's Scandinavian ancestors I had light blonde hair, fair skin and bright green eyes. My mother's Cuban-American genes however, had gifted me with a petite stature, and an hourglass figure. And that alone made it impossible to keep the men from staring at me.

I blew out a sigh as I entered the underground parking of my new apartment building, it was modern and sleek which was just what I had been looking for. It was a nice change from the apartment back in Canada.

I parked in the spot that had my room number plastered onto the wall and turned the car off.

I sat there for a minute pondering my life and what had become of it. I'd graduated school sure of where I would be in the coming years but the events of the last few months had surely changed that. I felt like I didn't even know who I was, like a whole chunk was just missing. 

A consistent, hard tapping sound brought me back to reality.

I turned to find a tall, blonde male smiling in from the other side of the passenger door and sat up. He appeared to be saying something.

"Oh sorry, I can't hear you." I shouted and started up the car so I could roll down the window.

He chuckled, "Uh, you need any help carrying your stuff up? I'm Vince, I happen to live right next door would you look at that!" he smiled broadly gesturing to the parking spot beside mine. A shiny black Porsche was obtaining the space and I had to physically stop myself from  rolling my eyes.

"Oh, lucky me." I smiled what I hoped was a friendly smile, "Uh yes, I'd love some help thank you."

"Great, as soon as your ready."

"Right! Sorry." I stuttered as I turned up the window, turned off the car and hopped out. I walked around to the boot and pushed it open. Standing back awkwardly and gesturing towards the boxes that seemed an endless pile from the back of the car to the front.

The gesture seemed to amuse him but he shoved two boxes under each arm anyway. I grabbed one — unable to carry more after a couple of unsuccessful attempts — I temporarily closed the boot and he led the way to the elevator. Once securely inside I pressed the top level button.

"Wow, penthouse level huh? Must've really put in for this one." Vince smiled down at me making a brave attempt at conversation.

I hoped he wouldn't end up being one of those guys that did me favours thinking they would receive something in return. I still managed a small smile and nodded, "Yeah, I don't plan on moving anywhere else for a while."

After a curt nod and half a minute of awkward foot tapping, Vince seemed to have given up on any conversation. Glad he was done trying, I relaxed a little. I kinda feel bad, after all the guy was probably just trying to be nice.

The elevator dinged signalling we had reached our destination and we walked out in search of my apartment door. I was glad to be out of that elevator, I never did well when held in confined spaces with strangers or anyone for that matter.