Chapter Forty-Nine: Rogue

Dominic

We heard the footsteps coming, immediately our plan went into action. Amara evacuated the people, leading them out the back of the warehouse and having them leave the area. Each person knew not to ask questions, they'd done their part.

We were certain my father had been watching us for the couple hours we'd already been here, monitoring movement - eventually he must've realised this really was just a gathering and that he'd have to confront us if he wants this to go anywhere. He's always been a very impatient man.

Once everyone was evacuated Amara came to stand beside me, "You okay?"

I was aware that I was pulling a worried face, I was concerned for my men. They had families. "They're my men."

"It's okay to feel guilty about killing people you know, I've felt guilt before." she squeezed my arm, "If you don't want to then we won't, we'll just give them a little boo boo."

"A boo boo?"

"Isn't that better?" she smiled before stretching to peck my cheek. I smiled at her, if anything before anyone has a chance to kill me - her kisses will get to me first.

The heavy sound of impounding bodies growing nearer caught our attention, we moved to either side of the door. I only peaked and there was already firing, seems like my men don't care too much about me. 

"Seize fire!" I heard the unwelcome voice of my father over the noise. The noise stopped.

I breathed a laugh, "Gesù Cristo, I didn't think you were so afraid that you would come here yourself. Life too boring back in the safety of your office?"

I heard him snort, "You wish I was afraid of you. I came to observe the mess you've created."

"I believe it is you who created the mess." I slung my gun onto my back and walked out, there was movement but one look from my father and the men just stood aiming.

He laughed, "I created this?"

I shook my head, "You started the trafficking again. Which I believe we agreed would never again happen in this familia. Do you mock me?"

"Mocking is childish. I'm making profit."

"Unfortunately for you father, I do not agree with this. As an acting leader of this familia I have one last deal to seal." I walked right up to him and stared him in the eye, "Shut down the sex trafficking business, disconnect us completely."

"Or?"

"Or perish."

He laughed, almost humorously. It was probably the most real emotion I'd gotten out of him in twenty years. 

"What are you saying?" he stepped up, "You're going to ruin your own empire?"

"You said yourself I care for a little amount of things. Unfortunately a mafia is not one of those things, I essentially find no value in it. I've always wanted to live a life without pitiless responsibilities." I answered.

"You don't know anything." he said without emotion and without shame. I couldn't stand looking at him, watching him continue to stain what was once so pure. I'd helped create a mafia that was not like the others, something etched from the new generation - a new age in the mafia world. A familia that was not misogynistic, was not homophobic and was not racist. A familia that represented evolution, the next step. He was taking me five generations back, back to the sexist and back to the trafficking.

I couldn't imagine the amount of innocent women and children that were stolen, sold and exchanged over the last two years by my family. My family.