Chapter Sixteen Part Two: Bonding

Amara

"Goodnight!" Claire shouted from the bottom of the stairs, I smiled at her and waved.

I had secretly dreaded this part of the night, finding out whether or not I'll be sleeping with Dominic – in the non-sexual related sense of course. I felt the blood rush to my face. Well at least he wasn't walking up with me, which would give me enough time to take a shower and mentally prepare myself.

Thinking back to tonight the only hiccup was with Clarissa, which was expected but I had no idea that this family was so wonderful. A number of women, aunts and cousins of Dominic's came up to me and made small talk. A few of them made promise to spend time with me later, the majority let me know that Clarissa was indeed a b-tch and that didn't need any of my input. It's funny really, they allow a daughter of the Russian familia to hang around them because?

Yes she was going to marry Dominic for cooperative purposes but it was agreed that I was going to do that, then there's the fact that she is a close family friend but no one likes her? Just doesn't add up to me. It's obvious the Russians have obvious beef with the Italians, Vince has obvious beef with Dominic but he wants Dominic to marry his sister?

"Hey," Dominic said. He closed the door behind him and dropped his jacket on the armchair, I watched his every move as he rolled the sleeves of his dress shirt and fell backwards onto the bed folding his arms behind him.

I hadn't realised that I had sat on the end of the bed and was simply staring ahead this entire time, I tend to space out when I am trying to figure something out. I cleared my throat.

"What?" Dominic lay with his eyes closed and his nostrils flaring.

"Stairs tire you out?"

"No," he snorted, "I was jerking off in the bathroom."

"Gross." I cringed.

"I'm kidding." He turned to look at me.

"Well it," I blew a hair out of my face, "wasn't very funny."

He went back to laying and breathing, and I sat looking ahead once again.

"Dominic."

"Something on your mind?"

"Why does Clarissa even come here? She's Russian isn't she?"

"Clarissa has been a close part of our family since I was three, I honestly would've left by now if I was her but it's no secret Clarissa and her entire family are thirsty for power and money."

"So you were going to marry her even though you knew she had bad intentions."

"Sì," he sighed, "But only because we would benefit from the alliance. No other reason. Clarissa is a b-tch."

"Agreed." I shuffled, "Doesn't her brother hate you though?"

"And I him," he sat up, "I hate him because he killed my older brother, he hates me because I won't marry his sister."

"You had a brother?"

"Sì," he fell backwards again, "Luca was three years older than me, and he'd be 29 right now."

"Oh," I turned to face him, folding my legs underneath me, "I'm sorry."

"It's in the past." His eyelids fluttered a little and I knew he was watching my reaction. I wonder if that's how he is about death, it's all in the past. When he kills, it's in the past too.

"Well," I flipped onto my stomach, "For the record, I'd kill his sister if you asked me to."

He chuckled.