Chapter Forty-Six: The Devil's Insurgence

Amara

We pulled up to the house surprised to find Leo sitting on the curb, he had his head hung between his legs. He didn't look like he was in any rush, more like half asleep. 

"Go inside." Dominic patted my lower back before closing the car door behind me, I just did as I was told and walked past Leo who then looked up.

I got inside then just changed my clothes, made a cup of tea and sat on the sofa in the living room that overlooked the street. They were still just standing there, talking like serious businessmen. I snorted to myself but switched on the television, turning my attention away from them. 

After some time of me watching Korean variety shows I'd found on a random channel, Dominic closed the front door behind him and the obvious roar of Leo's car sounded from outside. I paused the television, I'd become quite attached to a celebrity appearing on the show and so I wasn't about to miss a thing.

"What's up?" I asked after taking a sip of my tea, Dominic stood at the wall - leaning on it and sighing.

"It appears we've been," he pouted a little looking for the right word, "severed from the ties."

"Ties with whom?" I put my tea down on the coffee table, Dominic walked over and moved my cup onto a placemat before continuing. I stopped eyeing the obvious sign of OCD and paid attention to him, egging him to speak.

He rubbed his temple, "I'm being proscribed for unethical mafia leadership. The entire familia has decided on it, I can only imagine it's been a pending decision for some time."

"You're right," I looked somewhere, "That kind of decision isn't just made within a month."

"Disappointing to know they'd been plotting against me since day one." Dominic said though he didn't sound like he cared all that much.

"What is unethical about your leadership?"

"Well, the mafia have a set of rules to follow. Most are unwritten and simply custom or tradition. Others are actual written agreements which every member signs upon joining the familia." he looked to the ceiling, "I believe they don't think I'm 'mafia' enough. Most mafia are pretty sexist, restricting and conservative."

He turned to me, "Yet here I am with a wife who can kill all my men in minutes, a sister who parades around half-naked onstage and a life completely bare to the media. The number of pictures the media has of my happenings has clearly exceeded its limit."

"They want you to be sexist and over-baring?"

"That is how it is, I can no longer put my finger on what is actual law and what is actual bull."

I frowned, "Doesn't proscribe mean 'forbid'?" He nodded.

"They can't use the word 'forbid' otherwise they'll look like desperate idiots." he snorted.

I shrugged, "They must be desperate. But why?"

Dominic

Leo looked to the skyline, "I was shocked to find out, currently the only people I can say you are safe to trust are myself and your sister. Even your own mother is with the idea of proscribing you from your position."

"Okay, grazie." I looked at the window, Amara was immersed with the television. "What else?"

"Claire is currently covering for me, so I should get back." Leo turned to face me, pulling keys from his pocket. "I'm afraid they might take action should you reveal you're aware of the situation. Stay low." he nodded before walking.