Chapter Twenty-Nine Part Two: Suspicion

Dominic

"Seriously?" I looked at her.

"Yes." she confirmed, "You need it."

I held in my hands a cookbook, on the front it read 'Man Meets Stove'. Oh how I love her sense of humour. She beamed as I eyed her - putting it down beside me, I took to the next object which was...

Shaving cream.

"Amara this isn't funny."

"Oh don't complain." she chuckled.

I put that aside too. Next was black wrapping paper, I lifted it and was awfully surprised at what I saw. Almost shocked. That's why it was so freakin' heavy.

Amara

Cold Steel. Two customised. Black. Cold Steel Swords.

I'd even gotten a bulletproof coat to go with it, since that seemed to be his thing. The coat allowed the swords to be stored in back, super convenient and the back is the only place on the body with nearly enough space for them. Not to mention they weren't exactly light.

"Swords."

"Yup." I sat on the bed.

Claire had been super uncomfortable watching me walk around some shady dealer's store, I knew the guy of course but I didn't tell her that. She just kept asking if I was actually serious, I was busy finding the perfect swords. They were pricey but totally worth every penny. The best in the world and derived from Japan.

Basically this guy was the real deal. He even altered the coat for me. A saint in disguise. 

"What the f-"

"You seem like a practical guy," I reasoned, "I couldn't think of anything else. And I really wanted to take Claire to a weapon store. It was quite entertaining."

"You're insane." he chuckled. I guess he wasn't used to getting weapons as presents, usually he probably wasn't even the one that bought the weapons. He was just told to use them. I - on the other hand, had been on my own for a while. I wouldn't leave myself defenceless. 

"Not insane," I smiled, "Smart."

"Well I'm not going to deny you're the first person to get me something I can actually appreciate," he turned to me, "So thank you."

"Ahp, don't let Claire hear you saying that." I chuckled.

He chuckled. "I'd never see the light of day." 

--

We were running late.

"Are you prepared?"

"In what way?"

"For the crowd." he laughed, "They're going to hate you."

"Excuse you!" I slapped his arm.

"Only because you'll outshine them all, I hate to admit - the men will love you. They should keep that to themselves." he commented as we rounded the corner.

"Welcome." the doorman nodded to us, Dominic nodded back. The man and another - both dressed in suits - pulled the double doors open.

I'd never been to the hall before, it was grand. It was golden and quite detailed. Only I would pay more attention to the etchings in the walls than the guest that turned to face us.

"Smile or don't smile. Same result." Dominic whispered.

I immediately plastered a smile on my face, even if it would get the same result. I wanted to be the bigger person, always.