Chapter Twenty-Four Part One: Dark Knight

#storytime 

short chapter, sorry xx

Amara

"This may take a while so I made chocoalte latte caldo." Claire announced her return, she'd left me outside watching Dominic and Leo who now sat on the roof. They both looked pretty sad, they were talking about something important I'm sure. I knew they were aware of my presence but I wasn't bothering them so there was no reason to leave.

"Thank you." I smiled at Claire as she sat next to me.

"I'm not going to lie, I have a huge lady boner for Leo and so his problems affect me too. Just like Dominic's problems affect me." she started, "I'll tell you why, promise me you won't act different after this?"

"Of course," I assured her, "I'm a woman of my word."

"Thank you." Claire smiled before looking into the water of the new fountain they put up today, she sipped her hot chocolate and began her story. I made sure not to speak during any of it.

"Dominic and Leo both left for the italian institution at the age of 12, Dominic gave us presents; me his dog tags, a stuffed unicorn and earrings. A bracelet, necklace and a doll for Abrielle. Leo hand-made cards for both of us, he also made amazing cupcakes that were super customised." she chuckled, "Aside from that, it was a sad day. But Dominic told me not to be scared because he was coming back, he always comes back." 

"They left, it was fun for while. We went into their rooms and played with all the 'boy toys' that our dad's told us not to play with. We stole all of their sh-t," she laughed, "They never noticed because when they got back, toys didn't matter to them anymore." Sadness passed over her face.

"We visited a couple of times, Leo looked a mess and Dominic just looked different. They were both clean - don't get me wrong - but there was definitely something dirty about the way they were. We let it pass, left them presents, sat at their cells and sang them songs," she went quieter, "It was almost like they couldn't hear us."

"When they got back, they definitely weren't the same. I got angry. They hadn't kept their promise about having fun with us when they got back and catching up with old friends. They were so different. I couldn't have been more selfish and demanding than I was in that period of time. Those people at that place had convinced Dominic that I didn't exist but they gave him back his memories before he came home but he disregarded me like an unwanted puppy. I begged for my brother's attention, I wanted him to meet my friends and go on vacation with me. If Dominic was with me, my dad promised I wouldn't have to bring any guards. As a high school student I'd been waiting forever for him to come home so I could go somewhere without guards."

"The first week was disappointing, the second week men from the place came back. Dominic and Leo wouldn't talk to them so we had to. They said their scores were remarkable and that Dominic had broken all the records and was highest ranking in the world. I was so proud, Amara. But I didn't know what for." she smiled sadly, "I was practically bouncing when I went to tell the good news, Dominic was not so happy. He called me an ignorant, spoilt brat. I'd never forget that."

"I realised this wasn't the brother I knew, he wasn't the person he was. I was terribly upset, my mother too. All round the entire household was under deep remorse, as if they'd passed away and we wouldn't get them back."

"But then Dominic came up with this brilliant idea, this amazing plan which at the time nobody but Leo was aware of. He decided he could pretend to have emotions so that nobody would be sad anymore, him and Leo both. You can probably guess where I'm going with this," she avoided eye contact, "This emotional thing they have going on, it affects Leo's health. The men in our familia have been to the institution, but you must surpass certain tests to be able to have your emotions erased. It depends on how much you benefit or don't benefit from having emotions."