Chapter Thirty-Five: Brink

Amara

This room was only getting colder, maybe it was just in my head but it felt like -500 degrees in here. I hugged the quilt tighter but slowly my hand loosened its grip. I was shaking again, my grip was super weak. I'd almost forgotten it was that time of the month again, medication time.

I got up but decided to take a shower first, I like the shower because it was the little time I had to be warmer than I felt. I tied my hair in a messy bun and shrugged on a sweater. I wore tights and uggs. The paparazzi would love an eyeful of this.

I walked out and went to the bedside table where I kept the pills, there wasn't a glass of water to go with it. I felt a pang in my heart as I realised every time Dominic would've already put water there, that's why I've never had to get it myself. I take medication almost mindlessly, not realising the little things or even that I'm doing it. I put the meds back but decided to take out the two I was supposed to take – out of the packet, so that I don't get called up for not taking it.

I threw the two pills into the small bin near the armchairs, like I was playing a basketball game and it was fun. I don't want to take his medication if he's not going to give me more than that, all he's got. I may be selfish but I'm the one doing him a favour if I recall correctly.

I put in studs in each of my ear piercings, I hadn't worn earrings in all the holes for a while – I was getting scared it would close.

I hopped downstairs, completely changing my manner. I didn't want Claire to think I didn't want to be around her, I wanted to be happy to be in her workplace – she was really passionate about working there.

"You're here!" she beamed from the door, "We were starting to think you weren't going to show." She grabbed my arm.

"Oh." Was my genius reply.

"You're late." Abrielle was standing beside the car, Claire waved her off as they watched me enter the car.

"Sorry." I smiled as everyone shuffled in their seats, Clarissa was last as she came out and climbed into the car. She was looking really pretty in a royal blue dress, navy coat and dark blue Louboutin heels. Her brown hair was curled and in waves down her back and shoulders, they even bounced as she walked.

"You look really pretty today." I commented, I was envious. I'd put zero effort in, I was going to make Dominic look bad if I go out like this.

"You want to go back in and change?" Sophie put a hand on my shoulder, I realised everyone was dressed pretty high-end.

My pride was too big, "No." I replied decidedly but turned to Claire, "Unless you think it would be wise."

"It would be wise." Claire replied hesitantly. I rolled my eyes jumping out, already with an outfit in mind.

Dominic

I was back on the plane sending a message to Marcello, letting him know I'd be coming back to New York briefly and would be dropping in. I needed to check something in my old apartment, then head over to Amara's to double check her place too. I had an itching feeling Vince came back here and was hanging around. It would be extremely disturbing if he was staying in there, if he'd taken some of her stuff. He is a psychopath after all.

So I would visit Vitiello Industries while I'm at it.

I exited off the plane and successfully made it out of the airport, without being spotted by the paparazzi. They had no idea I'd left my house so I wouldn't be surprised. I got out of the taxi at the front of my apartment building, it didn't look as bright as it used to. I rode the elevator to the top level and pushed the door open, it wasn't even locked.