Chapter Twenty-Five: Stranger From the Past

Amara

I finished by putting my hair into a ponytail and curling it into waves, not that I wanted to look special for someone else – simply because I wanted to change it up. I wore a grey knit sweater and some black yoga tights with fluffy socks and uggs.

I bounced downstairs, excited to see this supposed visitor. I stopped being bubbly as soon as I saw Dominic, he was sitting at the sofa reading another book on German. Did he not have anything else he was supposed to be doing?

I wanted to go over and tell him to put the damn book down and come play with me, I wanted to give him a cuddle and make up but I couldn't, I was way too stubborn. I bet this was hurting me more than him, mainly because he probably doesn't care too much.

I sighed.

Claire emerged from the foyer, "Hurry up, you're killing me. I may be a socialist but I'm not a traffic light."

"Sorry." I replied. She pushed me to the foyer and my breath caught in my throat as I spotted him.

Brandon.

Claire

I had been talking to this suspicious man, I knew it wasn't very good of me but I wanted to make sure for myself that Amara wasn't cheating on Dominic. Though his lack of emotion, I care a lot for my brother and something like a cheating wife could be very damaging to his reputation.

This Brandon fellow was from Amara's institution, he'd been her mentor. And they'd briefly dated but called it quits the year before she escaped. I wasn't too clear on how close they were, but if it had been Brandon's job to be nice and supportive towards Amara in a place were only monsters lived – then they must be damn close. Extremely close.

Dominic's not gonna be happy about this. Figuratively speaking.

Dominic

I heard the commotion but let it pass, Amara probably didn't want me involved anyway. Though I was growing annoyed at my lack of knowledge. Who was it exactly? What did they want? Where they really here to see Amara? Why had she been so happy about it?

I shook it off, focusing on this one word I just couldn't pronounce. Claire had tried helping me but she was even more hopeless than I was. I hadn't seen Leo since last night and my mother was still preparing for this amazing high tea she was hosting - Abrielle in tow.

I started trying to mouth the word. I heard a squeal from the foyer. God damn it. I tried really hard to ignore it but I wasn't stupid enough to leave myself in a position of vulnerability. In this case not allowing myself knowledge of who it was setting foot in my home. I was about to get up when Claire pushed me back down, smiling uneasily.

"What?" I eyed her. She was twiddling her fingers and looking agitated.

"Why don't we play a game?"

"No," I stood, "I'd rather go see who's at the door."

Claire placed a hand on my chest, glancing behind her. "I don't think its such a good idea. I don't think you're prepared for this in any way."

"Claire," I used a stern voice, "Move."

"Dominic," she whined, "Please trust me. You don't want to know."

"If you don't want me to see so bad. Why don't you just tell me?"

She looked down, defeated. "Amara's ex-boyfriend is here." she grew quieter, "To visit."

My jaw twitched.

---

I watched from the window of my father's office, him working quietly behind me and my gaze not removing itself from the object of its scrutiny. Amara and this Brandon were sitting in the garden, catching up. My jaw hadn't stopped twitching since Claire had informed of Brandon's importance in Amara's life. As a graduate from an institution myself, I knew what a mentor's purpose is and that meant he held great importance in Amara's heart. That pisses me off.