Chapter Fifty-Four: Friction

Amara

We woke to getting ready for the beach, I spent half the morning putting my pants on and Dominic rushed around packing a bag full of stuff - half of which I was sure we didn't even need. I walked out sticking a bobby pin into the mess on my head and watch Dominic fold up a couple towels. "Why thank you." I curtsied a little as I took the beach umbrella from him and he opened the door for me. My feminist self had to carry something and he knew that. 

We walked out and he helped me into the car, chucking everything into the back seat and starting it up. He'd gotten up early this morning just to strap his board to the roof of the thing, I'd had almost no experience with 'car strapping' so the car ride was mostly me asking if he was sure the thing wouldn't fall of.

"You gonna show me how it's done?" I asked as I stood beside the car whilst Dominic pulled everything out, he nodded propping the umbrella up against the vehicle. I grabbed it and followed suit as he walked on ahead to the sand.

"The waves are really good today."

"Ooh surfer boy." I joked, watching him prop the umbrella and set his little picnic up. I sat on the towel watching the beach whilst Dominic went to 'get something', he came back with gelato. 

"Here," he handed it to me, I grinned because italian ice cream was my favourite and he knew it. He got a kiss for that.

He rummaged around the bag he brought and stopped, holding the book out to me, "I will allow you just this once, to read without me."

I tried to stop from smiling but dutifully nodded, I grabbed hold of the book but he didn't let go. He continued, "And I do know that you don't need my permission, but, its just a matter of practice."

"Got it." I nodded tugging the book.

He looked at the book and licked his lip, "Don't read too far."

I chuckled, "You're an idiot. Let go."

"You're the girl that claimed I wasn't intelligent because I don't read books, I'm just proving a point."

"That was such a long time ago Dominic," I whined, "Stop holding a grudge and show me how to surf." I gestured to the ocean. That seemed to shut him up as he threw his shirt off and grabbed his board, running for the water. I tried not to become irritated by the eyes that followed, I should be used to that by now though I wasn't going to lie; we hadn't been going out a lot in the last few months.

Not to my surprise, he could surf. At this point I was aware Dominic never claimed to something he couldn't do, he'd proven time and time again that he's very much capable. I shook my head as he waved from where he was which was riding a pretty tall wave. It was entertaining as he tried tricks and other things to entertain me.

I finished my gelato, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel mix Poodle puppy came up to me and started rampaging my space. I didn't mind though since he was so cute, I played with him for sometime before his owner came to get him. She smiled at me apologising and taking her dog in the other direction. "That's too bad." I mindlessly said out loud, I'd made a friend. I realised when I'd said it out loud I was almost talking to my bump, more precisely - my daughter. People do that don't they? I wouldn't know, I'm crazy.

I started reading but soon I got bored and I walked up to the water and started with gesturing of my own, 'I'm going for a walk' was what I was aiming for but he was not getting it. I think he though we were going home now? But that would be a good idea anyway, it was becoming that time of day when the young and wild came out to the restaurants and got super drunk.

Sunset. By that I meant sunset.

I was walking along the sidewalk when I spotted Clarissa, which was weird because I swear she'd gone back to Russia.