Chapter Twenty-Two: Teamwork

Dominic

"I've come to a decision." My father eyed the both us from behind his desk, it was almost as if he never left this room, "You will lead a group and acquire Vince and his comrades. This is a matter of reputation and moral values."

"Understood." We replied in unison. He nodded his head towards the door so we took the invitation and left. Leo had been suffering greatly recently, he's developed another one of those marks on his back.

"I'm gonna go lie down."

"Don't come back till you've had enough rest," I ordered, "then we can leave."

"Ok." He replied before retreating to his room.

I wonder what he's doing that's getting him so sick. There's too much going on. My phone began vibrating in my pocket, I took it out and brought it to my ear.

"You brought this upon yourself Vitiello." His grumbled, "The French have joined with us. Its your loss really, so get ready old man."

I kept listening, only stopping to watch Amara walking into the kitchen.

"We will destroy you, in three years even the memory of the Italian Mafia will be forgotten and you will be the Capo dei Capi that lost it all."

"Is that so?" I said.

"Prepare yourself. Nothing you can do can stop this." He continued, "You have my wife. I will take her back."

The line went dead. I growled slamming the phone into the wall, little squeals came from the kitchen. My mother, sister and Amara came running out to find my fist disappearing into the wall and remnants of my phone on the ground. I pull my hand out dropping what managed its way into my grasp and walking away.

Now was not the time to play pretend.

---------

"He contacted you about this?"

"Sì." I droned.

"The French are traitors," he continued, "always have been."

"The plan?" I watched out the window as the landscapers continued to clean the mess from yesterday.

"Forget the Russians," my father was typing quickly, "The French will arrive tonight in the city, leave now and eliminate them. After that we can deal with the Russians."

"Understood." I stood to leave.

"Dominic," he started, "Leo's mother has requested he be kept in, you will go with six other men."

"Combat or assassination?"

"Combat." He answered.

"Understood." I confirmed, leaving the room.

-----------

Amara

I hadn't seen Dominic all day, when I woke up he wasn't there and then he didn't show up for breakfast – only to make a scene later but then disappeared again. I should quit worrying, if he doesn't want to tell me what's wrong then I can't force him. He might not even be sure about what it is.

"Are you worried?" Claire came to sit next to me, I was watching the garden get remade, "You shouldn't spend all your time thinking about something that doesn't involve you."

"And how do I know it doesn't involve me?"

"You're right." She turned to watch, "You don't know."