Chapter Twenty-Nine Part One: Merry Merry Christmas

A few months later...

Amara

I woke up to lots of noise, it was a couple days before the Annual Christmas Ball and everyone was busy preparing. Claire had been getting up around five everyday, Donna even earlier. I woke up at eleven, every single day.

Dominic woke up at 1pm.

I rolled my eyes as I pushed his arms off me and sat up, stretching. He was up super late last night - like usual - with some of the other men, trying to figure out what Vince was going to do. Ever since Alexei had tipped us off about Vince planning to take action around Christmas time, many had been dreading it. 

Though Donna and the older women continued to plan the ball they had every year, as per usual a ton of girls already had their dresses and I didn't. I wasn't alone though, Claire didn't have one either. Abrielle - unlike us - already purchased a royal blue gown. 

I got out of bed, I went about my usual routine. I found it kind of funny that they called this a 'ball', seemed kind of medieval to me. But what else can you call an extremely formal celebration during a huge holiday, nothing else but a ball.

I wiggled into my Adidas track pants, a white mesh crop top that said 'sleepyhead' on it and put my hair into a messy bun. After brushing my teeth and putting on deodorant I jogged downstairs, on most occasions they need help with a couple things.

"Ohmigod!" Claire ran up to me as soon as I reached the bottom of the stairwell.

"That's not a word." I frowned.

"Doesn't matter," she huffed. "Not only do we not have dresses. We didn't get presents!"

My eyes widened, "Oh sh-"

"Please don't swear around the children." Donna reminded as she walked past with a box, I closed my mouth watching as one of the little girls ran around chasing a puppy. I smiled at the little thing.

"We have to go." Claire hushed, she led me outside then texted for a car. We got in and started our way to the mega-mall. I was lucky I wore uggs and fluffy socks on my feet, it was cold. Claire on the other hand, wore sandals.

"Why aren't you wearing closed shoes?" I asked pointing.

"Are you kidding?" she replied, "I painted my nails this morning."

"They should be dry by now." I muttered under my breath. She heard me but ignored it.

We came to a stop and she jumped out so quick I swear I almost missed her movements, she tapped her foot waiting for my slow ass to get out. I rolled my eyes as she turned and walked away but followed. 

We spent a solid while looking for something to get our friends, guards following closely behind us. Claire informed me that everyone at familia understood that not every person would or could buy a present for every person there. So what happens is, we celebrate together then people go off with whomever they bought gifts for and give them out. Claire was buying for her parents, Abrielle, Dominic and Leo.

I was buying for Dominic, Abrielle, Leo and Claire. I wasn't too close with anyone else and had no idea what Donna would like. Claire said it was okay and I believed her.

We struggled immensely to find even one, Claire eventually gathered her presents. I saw what she got and tried my best not to buy anything similar. After we'd purchased our gifts we headed back home.

--

I sat up abruptly, I still didn't have a dress... and the event was today!

I brought both hands to my face and groaned, I turned to look if I woke Dominic but he wasn't there. Instead the bed was made and there was a black box, it had a white card on top of it and my name in the prettiest man writing I'd ever seen.