Chapter Fifty-Four: Friction

Start from the beginning

"Clarissa!" I got her attention then made my way over, "Hi." I beamed. 

She looked taken back but she smiled eventually, along with that smile a guy came along with it. He walked up behind her and looked to me as if to say 'who are you?'

"Tyler this is my friend Amara," she gestured towards me at which I smiled, "Amara this is Tyler, my boyfriend."

I raised my brows at her as if to say 'you go girl' and shook the nice man's hand, "Nice to meet you Tyler, you better be treating my girl right."

"Of course." he replied.

Clarissa had zoned out completely and I realised she was staring at my stomach, I didn't want to be one to rub things in and point it out so I changed the subject. "I thought you moved back to Russia?"

"Yeah, I did but th-" she started but was obviously cut-off, not by anyone speaking over her but only because Dominic waltzed up shirtless.

"He was uh, surfing." I answered the unasked question. Dominic came to a stop beside me, things had gotten at least ten times more uncomfortable and just straight up suffocating.

There was silence for a bit, Tyler looking like a lost puppy. Clarissa straightened up and started talking, "Tyler this is Dominic, a childhood friend..."

Tyler did a shifty look between the two of them before giving Dominic the lightest possible handshake earning him an eye from me, my husband was not a disease. 

Dominic and I had a few casual exchanges with them but it was all round a chore, Tyler was a quick learner because I was sure by the end of that conversation he'd developed a heavy incentive to harm Dominic. He seemed to have caught on quickly, not that Clarissa made it particularly difficult.

We headed home, did some more light reading and went to bed. We didn't have the energy to be dealing with situations like that, not right now.

--

This morning Dominic had let me know he'd be picking up the furniture we ordered which they'd said would be delivered to the store today, I'd opted to stay home just because a part of me was telling me to - which can never be a good thing but Dominic can handle himself. What has to be done, has to be done.

And today that furniture had to be picked up.

Dominic

I switched off the radio, the music was not as it used to be but then again maybe it was because I hadn't heard 'good' music in a long time and this was what it was now. I thought I'd turned the damn thing off but it was still letting out an airy sound, I groaned trying to figure out why sound was till coming out when the radio was clearly turned off.

It took sometime but I realised the sound wasn't coming from in front but rather underneath me, which was concerning since this car was pretty damn expensive and service cost wasn't a joke. I listened a little closer, it sounded a lot like gas. Like a gas leaking.

I looked into the rearview mirror and sure enough the was a slight distortion in the colour reflected just under the car, the road was more greyscale. That air was polluted.

I almost braked the car to just fix the problem but braking the car meant metal or rubber rubbing together, which could cause a spark and ignite the gas. Which meant my car blew up with me in it. 

But if I kept driving like this, eventually something would spark the gas... the whole car was made of damn metal.

I didn't know how long it would be until the latter occurred so I pulled out a book from the dashboard, place it on the peddle and lifted my foot. I slowly crawled over to the passenger seat which was the side that the sidewalk was on whilst still steering the car and maintaining the same speed and opened the passenger door. I pushed off with my feet and rolled out onto the pavement, watching my beautiful car continue for a good six seconds before it blew up two metres high wreaking the entire interior and leaving almost none of the driver seat to exist.