Chapter Forty-Two: Sitter

Start from the beginning

"Later." she called back with the frittata muffling her voice.

--

I drove into the street. I knew my Aunt Alex would be thrilled to see me, she was not a part of the mafia so we rarely got to see her - for her safety of course. She was my mother's sister and proudly so, they were very close - it was a shame they rarely spoke.

I pulled to a stop in the driveway, smiling as Alfonso ran out the front door. That kid had too much free will. I shook my head stepping out of the car and engulfing the child into a bear hug.

"Ciao cugino Dominic." he smiled broadly.

"Ciao anche a te Alfonso." I put him down.

He frowned. "It's Alfie."

"I know." I laughed going to give him mother a hug, "La zia Alexander."

"Dominic." she smiled. "Thank you for helping us out."

I ignored the flash I saw in the corner of my eye, probably the paparazzi trying to start some rumours. "Where are you off to?" I stood with my hands in my pockets.

She sighed, "We're visiting Anto's parents. We'll be back before midnight I'm sure."

"Alright," I waved, "Have fun."

She waved back shouting a quick 'be good' to Alfie, he waved excitedly. I got the little guy in the car and started our drive back, he was extremely fond of RnB music and so the car ride was nothing less of entertaining.

I was sure Claire was just setting this up, she was obviously trying to pull something by getting Amara and I to take care of the kid. There are plenty of people back at the estate that could do a much more recommendable job of looking after him - even Abrielle couldn't mess it up the way I know I could.

Amara

I shrugged on a grey jumper I found in Dominic's pile. He seriously needed to fold his clothes better, I walked with bare feet to the kitchen and grabbed a glass of ice tea then went to the living room with the view of the street so I could wait for them to get here.

I switched on the television only to find a 'quick update' on Dominic gracing the screen, these magazine-run channels sure worked fast. I'd imagine he was nearly home by now, it was forty minutes since the picture had been taken.

Almost as if he'd heard my thoughts the car pulled up, turning into the garage. I put my tea on the coffee table, excited to see the little kid they called Alfonso. That was the cutest f-cking name, I couldn't help but squeal when I saw him.

"He's so tiny!" I marvelled holding his little hand.

"Amara you're so weird." Dominic chuckled getting out the driver's side, "You're scaring him."

The kid was too busy fondling with my hair, I picked him up and walked inside. I held out a hand, "Hello."

He gave me an enthusiastic high-five, "Hello Miss."

"My name is Amara." I said putting him on the couch.

He shuffled into a comfortable position, "My name is Alfie."

"Is it?" I frowned.

He frowned, "Yes."

I crouched down. "Well, Alfie. It's nice to meet you." I smiled.

Dominic walked in, the kid smiled at him. "Alright little guy, what do you wanna do?"

--

I went to the kitchen to get the kid some water, hospitality was priority after all. I had to stop as I returned, Dominic was crouching whilst the kid whispered in his ear. "Yeah do it." he nodded to the kid, "Do what you have to do." He prompted. I frowned walking up to the two.