"It was a couple hours," he pointed out, "how could you miss me?"

"I just did, Luke." I shrugged, then moved a little to sit on his lap. I bent down, and kissed him. It made me want to throw up, he tasted like some kind of beer, but nevertheless I kissed him.

"No. Not now Abigail." He said, pushing me off of him.

"Come on, can we watch a movie? Or like, football or something?" I asked.

"It's not football season." He said.

"Okay. I'm gonna go to bed." I sighed, and kissed his jaw, "Luke?" I looked up at him.

"Mmhm?" He looked back at me.

"Love you." I whispered, lying to myself, trying to believe it.

"Mmkay." He chuckled, and I buried my head in my pillow, falling asleep next to him.

•••

About a month later everything had gotten worse. I was still sick, I could barely move. I had been in bed for what seemed like forever. I only ever got up to drag myself to the bathroom. I was eating maybe half a meal a day, and it was showing.

"Luke?" I whispered, one night.

"What?" He asked.

"I think I need to go to the doctors." I said, "I'm just getting worse."

"It's just the flu." He shook his head.

"It's been a month and a half." I protested. "I- I think I'm dying." I whispered.

"I wish." He groaned, and my heart sank.

"Wha-"

"Don't act surprised, you can't do anything! You can't cook, you can't clean, you're not attractive, you're in bed all day, and when I get home you're too tired to do anything, and it's no fun if you're just laying there."

"Luke. I'm sorry." I whispered. "Can I call my parents?" I asked.

"Why?"

"I think I'm gonna die. I want to see them again."

"No. Abigail, that part of your life is over. They're not your family anymore." He said, and a tear slipped out of my eye.

"I- I-" I choked out, starting to really cry. I sat like that for a minute, then threw up onto the blanket in front of me. "I'm sorry." I whispered.

"Get up." He said, "get out of bed, clean the blanket, go downstairs, you sleep on the couch."

"Luke, please, I'll clean the bed, just, don't make me go to sleep alone." I whispered. I hated him, but, I was scared, and being alone wasn't helpful.

"No. You're disgusting, sleep on the couch." He said, and I sighed, climbing out of bed. I yanked the blanket off of the bed, leaving the sheets.

"I'll grab you another blanket." I whispered, dragging myself down the hall to the closet, I pulled a blanket out, and set the dirty one in the laundry room. I walked back into my bedroom, and flung the clean blanket over him. I smoothed it out a little, then crawled up to him. "Love you, Luke." I kissed his forehead, making one last ditch effort to stay in bed.