Chapter One: Waking Up

Magsimula sa umpisa

Pulling out a pair of jeans and a knit sweater, I began brushing my hair out, the colour looking black because of the wetness. Slowly I went through my morning routine of blow drying my hair and putting on some mascara before jumping into my clothes.

Finally, I finished and checked the clock. I had a whole ten minutes before the first bell would go. Swearing under my breath, I quickly ran out into the hallway.

"Bye mom," I called as I clomped my way down the wooden staircase to the front door. We lived in a small three bedroom, two story home. Just big enough for four people. "Bye dad!" 

"Cara, can you drop your brother off at school, please? Your father and I are already running late," my mom's voice called from the kitchen. 

Cursing under my breath, I pulled on my puffy winter coat and boots, and then turned to look at the kitchen where Harris was eating a bowl of cereal still. 

"Mom, I can't! I'll be late too! I'll ask Nora to do it," I whined, motioning towards our neighbour down the street a few houses. She had a son Harris' age and gave Harris a ride almost every day now. 

My mom emerged from the kitchen with her travel coffee mug in hand. Her blonde hair was pulled back in a tight bun with black sleek chopsticks holding it together. She was wearing a pencil skirt with a long sleeve button up shirt tucked into it. She looked so beautiful, as always. She also stood five inches taller than me, without heels. Unluckily for me, I got most of my looks from my dad.

"Fine, but do it now before she leaves!" She pointed at the door. I quickly kissed her on the cheek, grabbed my bag off the ground and my keys off the hall table before sprinting out the house. It was January, and it was freezing. Something great about Tehall was that it stayed at pretty much the same temperature- a spring like season. It was great, especially when I wanted to escape from the freezing Canadian winter. I ran to the garage and pulled open the heavy door. 

My dad kept my car in the garage for me so I wouldn't have to wait for it to warm up in the winter. It saved me a good five minutes. I really did need those minutes in the morning. 

I hopped into my car and turned it on, pulling out a moment later. I drove down the street to Nora's where her older son was out front, scraping the ice off his car. I knew he went to my school and was probably in my grade but I was a bit antisocial. Hardly knew anyone in my grade. 

I got out of the car and rushed up their driveway. 

"Is your mom inside?" I called to the boy. He looked up at me and wrinkled his nose at me. He had the same blonde hair as his mother, except his was cropped short. Personally, I found blonde boys very unappealing. This boy was no different. The whole blonde thing just reminded me of my mother. 

"Who are you?" he questioned in a confused tone. I nodded to myself, figuring I would have better luck by going to the door. I was ringing the bell a moment later and nearly jumped back in surprise when it swung open right away. 

Nora's pretty face smiled at me from the doorway. She looked too young to have a teenage son. 

"Hi Cara, here about your brother I suppose?" she asked with a bright white smile. I nodded. 

"I'm sorry, we really run late too much. Do you mind picking him up?"

"No problem. Now, get moving. You're going to be late!" She laughed and I smiled apologetically before sprinting back down her driveway to my car. 

"Bye, whoever you are!" Her son called. I rolled my eyes and slammed my car door shut. 

“Someone’s vicious this morning.”