Chapter Nine: Return Home

Start from the beginning

The drive home was shorter than expected, when I'd first exited the parking lot the New York traffic was heavy but it soon started moving. It still took some time though. I groaned as I dropped my keys before unlocking my apartment door and closing it behind me. A shiver went down my spine as I slowly placed my handbag on the kitchen island. I walked forward slowly using the little light there was in the room to scan my surroundings, a dark figure stood behind my couch.

I switched on the light and let out a breath, "You bloody scared me. How did you get in my apartment?"

"You'd be surprised how easy it is." Dominic answered still looking out the window before turning to look at me. What was this about?

"Okay..." I dragged turning back to the kitchen to grab a glass of water. You'd be surprised how burned up I'd gotten, I still found him attractive regardless of the fact that he just broke into my home. I busied myself with grabbing a glass from the top cupboard which I was of course too short to reach. 

"Why did you put them all the way up there if you knew you couldn't reach?" he asked reaching up and getting the glass for me. I ignored the feel of his breath against my neck and ducked under his arm to get the jug from the fridge. "You can't just keep ignoring me, I came here to talk to you."

"Well you broke into my apartment so I think I can ignore you." I stated before bringing the glass to my lips and walking out into the living room.

"Amara listen." he demanded grabbing my wrist and turning me around, ignoring the tingles running up my arm I glared at him. "Lets not do this. Listen."

"You sound desperate." I stated, there was a flash of anger in his eyes but it soon dissipated only nothing remaining.

"I need your help, so call me whatever you want." 

I eye him for a little bit. What was he getting at? I couldn't help him with anything, as far as I was concerned I wasn't open for business. Not to mention the fact that he broke into my apartment! There was no way I was helping him with anything, I didn't even know him. He pulled me over the couch and sat down, pulling me gently to sit beside him.

"Listen. Are you listening?" he looked intently studying my reaction.

"Uh - yeah." I replied folding my legs under me, he let go of my arm and I held my glass with both hands.

"Schwarzer Regen."

"Excuse me?" I tensed. Not only had he said it wrong - courtesy of his italian accent - but I hadn't heard that name in years, no one I knew even knew that name existed and those that did weren't around anymore. I stared at him with wide eyes, is that really what this was about? Taking me back to the institution for 14 billion big ones? Faith in humanity my ass, I've given up. Humanity is a disgrace. He has enough money, why would he need more? He's a billionaire already - what would 14 more of what he already has matter? Its not like he needs the money, his company's market has risen three times as much in the last month. He doesn't need any money.

So why is he doing this? How does he even know about it? I hadn't come into contact with anyone who would know about it in years and even then it hadn't gone down too well. I wasn't about to sit here wondering what I could just be told, unfortunately I didn't have any weapons on me. No guns, no knives. I was a sitting duck. I'd allowed myself to become comfortable, heck I'd even gone to the club the other day with a bunch of girls I hadn't met before! I was losing my focus and now I'd been found. Ton of bullsh-t it was New York being the hardest place to be found. I'd been found within a month!

"Excuse me?" I said standing slowly. This can't be happening. And he was so hot too.

"Well a guy who is running out of options has to pick the most reasonable one. I negotiated with my father that instead of marrying Clarissa - I would find Schwarzer Regen. So I did."