Chapter 29- Katerina's Confession

I'm going to tell you how I escaped. Step by step. You might need this in future cases.

Step 1: In my cell, I take out a skeleton key I threw in there earlier. It's completely gray and the top is shaped like a rock so none of the policemen would notice. In my cell, I try my best to look miserable and wait.

Step 2: Dinnertime. When a policeman came in to check on me and bring me a tray of completely inedible food, I try to look tired. I don't know why they even bother giving prisoners food when it's so disgusting. Uh. Seriously? As soon as the policeman leaves, I take out my skeleton key, fit it into the lock, and yank the cell open. An alarm sounds.

Step 3: I take a secret passageway behind a door, which leads me to the sewers. Holding my nose, I swiftly run across the grimy surface until I reach the right metal ladder. Once I climbed up the ladder, I'm in the forest right behind Marie's house. Sneaking from bush to bush, I make it to Marie's house and ask for a shower and a hiding spot. Good thing Kyle was there. Marie and Lindsay started freaking out when she saw me.

Step 4: When the police come inside to search the house, I begin thinking about a way to escape. It was a miracle that Kyle and Lea made them get a search warrant. Even though Marie, Kyle, and Lea left, I knew that there was still policemen around the house, watching. I quickly sneak out of my hiding spot and scramble out the back door. Waiting, waiting. I wait until I'm sure that the policeman in his car on the side of the house has turned away. Suddenly, I leap. I leap over the fence that contained the woods. The woods. Now I became finally free.

I thought that I would have to live in the woods forever until I found out what happened to Marie's mom's vase collection. The search for me stopped instantly when the cops were sued. What happened next, I was grateful for. Really grateful for. I watched from a tree as the police squad met with the mayor outside of the police department.

From what I could hear, the mayor was saying that I should be set free and that the police should stop worrying about putting me in jail. No, that couldn't be! MY ears were playing tricks on me! Yes! He actually said that. He told the police officers that there was not enough proof to convict me and that the officers already made a giant mess of the town.

From there, I slid off my tree and began to walk home. I walked on the sidewalk, admiring a meteor shower above my head. The mayor and police saw me. None of them said anything.

Sometimes, miracles do happen.