Chapter 10- Kyle

Chapter 10- Kyle

Kate kicked the softball on the ground away, and I watched as it rolled down the hall. She also picked up the bat and put it next to the staircase. She didn't say anything. In fact, I hadn't heard her say anything ever since she came into the house. I was debating whether I should be polite or just ask Kate if anything was wrong when she showed me a text to John.

Two words: I'm mute.

I stayed quiet for a little bit, and then finally answered, "Just like your brother."

A look of surprise covered Kate's face as she typed on her phone, How did u know?

I sighed. "I heard you talk about it a few years ago and it's just something I've always remembered."

Kate nodded.

She lent me her phone and forced me to call the police. I pressed the emergency button (which felt good to press because you were never allowed to do it) and spoke to the police.

"Hello?"

"Yes, hi. My name is Kyle and some of my friends and I are stuck in a house with an unconscious robber. 16 Sears Place."

"Okay, we will be right there. Is there anyone injured?"

"No. Only the robber. I threw an encyclopedia at him."

There was a really long pause, so long that I was afraid that they hung up on me. Finally, after a long time of waiting, they answered.

"Okay we'll be right there."