“I said to get off her.” Toni’s voice had taken on the tone of someone who would kill in an instant.

The man on top of her stood, and Katie scooted backward. Toni held a big stick in her hands, sound enough to knock a man out… as it did to the man who had been holding her feet.

“Alex Harrison and Marshall Heath. I should have known. You two are going right back to camp and we’re gonna treat you according to what you’ve done. If I were Uncle Mark I’d hang you both.” Toni lowered her weapon and looked between the two men.

“You ain’t gonna tell him,” Marshall said. “Are ya?” He added the last words threateningly.

“You bet your belt buckle I am. Now get your buddy and walk right on back to camp,” Toni demanded.

Marshall smiled and shook his head. “Not happenin’, sweetheart.”

Toni rolled her eyes. “Oh, I will beat you like a drum and you know it. Cut the pleasantries and get a move on.”

Alex groaned and started coming to. Marshall kicked his boot to rouse him quicker.

“Harrison, get up. We’ve got a squealer,” Marshall said.

Alex rode into a sitting position and rubbed the back of his head.

“What did you hit me with?” he asked.

“A stick,” Toni stated in a monotone.

“You’ve gotta arm on you.”

“And I’ll use it again. The two of you are going back to camp to face the trail boss,” Toni said.

“No we ain’t,” Alex protested.

Katie didn’t understand. They were with Mark, so why should they be afraid? Then again, Mark was cruel enough to punish his own men.

Alex grabbed at Toni, and she raised her stick again and whacked him hard on the head. Katie jumped and let out a little squeal. Alex fell back to the ground with a groan.

Marshall took off toward Toni.

Toni felt herself being slammed into a tree, and her head hit the trunk hard, causing her vision to go fuzzy. Marshall’s elbow pressed against her throat and cut off her breathing. She had dropped her stick, and now clawed at the man’s arm.

She saw Katie stand and come toward Marshall with a stick of her own, but not before Alex could come to enough to grab her foot and trip her. Toni must have not been as strong as she thought.

God, please get us out of this.

She tried to breathe, but air came from her gasping mouth.

“I won’t hesitate to kill you, woman,” Marshall growled.

Toni continued in her efforts to free herself, but to no avail. Katie was trying to free herself from Alex, but she wasn’t having any luck either.

Toni saw the dim world around her going black and knew she was losing consciousness.

Suddenly, an arm wrapped itself around Marshall’s throat and pulled him off her. Toni collapsed onto the ground and sweet air filled her lungs.

Thank you, Jesus!

“You say the word, Miz McBride, and I’ll snap his neck right now.”

Toni looked up to see Adam in the prime position to kill Marshall off right then.

“Na,” she shook her head. “Save him for Uncle Mark.”