“I’m glad. I had to risk getting beat up by wearing it,” Adam grinned.

Katie slapped at his hand. “That was mean.”

“I’m dead serious. You remember Silas Bryant don’t you? He could have drove me into the ground like a thumbtack and no one would have been the wiser. I was scared of ‘im.”

Katie smiled.

Adam shook his head. “The things I used to do to impress you,” he murmured.

Katie looked at him. “Impress me?”

“Sure. You don’t think I wore that scarf because I was cold, do you? Or walked through the middle of town carrying your parasol more times than I can count for my own well-being? Or letting you climb up onto my shoulders so you could see if two of your matches were hitting it off or not because I enjoyed it? Or…”

“I get the point,” Katie huffed. “Guess you have done a lot for me over the years.”

There was a moment of silence. “

“Can’t believe I let five of them go by just like that,” Adam said distantly.

Katie looked across the table. “That was something neither of us could help. You know how my pa is. He’d scalp us both if he knew we saw each other one last time before I left, let alone if he knew we were back together now.”

“W-We’re back together?” Adam asked.

Katie’s heart jumped into her throat. “Aren’t we?”

**********

Mark opened the door to his room with his hand hovering over his gun on his hip. He relaxed when he saw the four men he was expecting.

“Get in here,” he whispered.

They filed in and stood around the room, all staring at him.

“Okay, Curtis. Tell us what we do,” Brant demanded.

“Before I do, let me help you remember a few things.” Mark pointed at Marshall Heath. “You were broke, half dead, and drunk when I found you, and you best not forget that.”

Marshall shuffled his feet.

“You.” Mark shoved a finger at Joe Blake. “You were about to be hanged when I happened to come along.”

Joe pressed his lips into a thin line.

“Harrison.” Mark pointed at Alex Harrison. “You were spending your days chasing after women and drinking yourself to death. I made something out of you.”

Mark turned to Brant Alexander. “Let’s not forget about you and your brother. Ya’ll were like two urchins, running around that little town stealing anything you could get your hands on. I’ve taken each one of you and made something out of you. The least you four could do is show some trust in me.”

The four men sighed.

“Now,” Mark took a seat. “Here’s the plan.”

**********

“Aren’t we?” Katie was scared to breathe as Adam looked deep into her eyes.

Had she really just told him they were back together? What could have possessed her to…?

“I guess we are.”

Katie breathed deep. She realized that was exactly what she had wanted to hear. They were both silent for a while, neither of them knowing what to say. It was an awkward silence, not at all as it used to be.