{Chapter} 18

{Chapter 18}

Katie put up the last of the breakfast dishes and wiped her hands on her apron before untying it and tossing it into the back of the chuck wagon. The morning air swept over her and she smiled. It’s wasn’t a hot, stifling air but a cool, gentle breeze that calmed a person’s nerves. The bright blue sky was clear and spotless, not a cloud in sight. The grass waved in the wind and the rustling sound it made the day perfect.

“Perty day, ain’t it?” a voice said from beside her.

Katie smiled and turned to the voice. “It sure is, Adam.”

“Want to take advantage of it?” Adam asked.

“Depends. What are your plans?” Katie gave him a look. “Ones that include vandalism or destruction of public property as usual?”

Adam put a hand on his chest, pretending that he was deeply hurt. “I’m a changed man, Miss Morris.”

“I don’t believe a word of it,” Katie teased.

Adam gasped, and then stopped his façade. “Anyway, I was wondering if you wanted to go for a ride since it’s just a gorgeous morning.”

“Sure. Just let me throw on my riding skirt” Katie turned to the wagon.

“I’ll get the horses” Adam turned in the opposite direction.

Within the next few minutes, the horses had been saddled and Katie was changed. Adam helped her up into her saddle and mounted Blondie beside her. The rode so that the wind blew against their backs, taking in the wide Kansas terrain. Katie smiled as she looked over the flat and wide expanse of the lans. For the past three weeks, she had been surrounded by God’s country. It seemed that He was more evident when there wasn’t another soul around to hinder His voice and movement. It was nearly as if you could see Him in each blade of grass as it rustled in the wind.

“I’ve got something to tell you” Adam’s voice interrupted her.

Katie turned her head to look at him. “What’s on your mind?”

“Well, yesterday I got to thinking about what you said. About revenge not solving anything. You were right. I think I knew that all along, but my mind was just telling me something different. I felt like I truly listened to God last night. I finally decided to give Joel’s murder and my hate and bitterness up to God. I feel so free now” Adam smiled. “I feel like there’s nothing stopping me from doing anything I take a fancy to. I can honestly say that I’m trying to forgive Brant… or whoever killed my brother… and let the chips fall where they may.”

Katie smiled. “I’m happy for you. What now?”

“I don’t know. There are so many different directions I can go with this. I can confront Brant, but that would probably lead to gunplay and get another murder. I could try to figure out things on my own, but I would more than likely get caught… they already think I’m suspicious” Adam sighed.

“You could talk to Mark about it,” Katie offered.

“No” Adam shook his head. “Mark is up to no good.”

Katie nodded. “I knew it. What’s he done?”

“Well, he’s got Toni to sign a paper of some sort for him. Back before we left, he brought a paper in and forced Toni to sign it quickly before she read it. I asked Toni about it and she told me that she trusted her uncle. Something’s up. I can feel it.”

“Why didn’t you tell me this sooner?” Katie asked.

“I don’t even know why I’m telling you now.”