chapter 83

Sarah

"He's in DC?!" Fuck. Ashton's upset.

"Ash, I got this handled." I hope. I have to.

"Sarah, you need to tell Mike. He knows there's more to it that you're not telling him and he's worried sick."

"And telling him that Damien is in DC, when he's in Sheffield, the night before a show is a good idea?"

"No, but keeping something important like this from him is worse. You need to tell him Sarah." Fuck shit damnit!

"Ugh, fine. Have him skype me in a few minutes." We hang up the phone and I log into skype.

While I'm waiting, my phone rings from a number that looks familiar, it's from back home, but I can't place it. I wearily answer it, to hear an old friend from high school on the other end. What the hell? I quit talking to her when she got into drugs, and my number's changed twice since then!

"Courtney? How'd you get my number?"

"Cory got it from Tom off Facebook." Shit. I haven't been on Facebook since the crash. Stupid, Sarah. Stupid. Wait, Cory? What the hell is she doing with Cory?

"Cory?" Just then Michael Skype's in. Shit. This could get interesting. "Courtney, hold on a sec." I answer the Skype call and instantly feel better when I see his smiling face.

"Hi babydoll!"

"Hey Mikey. Um, can you hold on a sec? I wave my phone at him to show him I'm on a call. He nods and I put the phone back to my ear, my eyes glued to the computer screen in front of me.

"Okay, I'm back. So anyways. I don't even WANT to know why you're at Cory's."

"Geez, love you too, Sarah!" I hear that familiar voice in the background. That's why I recognized the number! She's at my ex boyfriend from high school's house.

"Didn't your mom tell you? We ran into her the other day at Walmart." So that's what she meant about the ghosts of my past coming out of the woodwork. Great. The three people from home I hoped to never speak to again...

"Please don't tell me... You know what? I don't care. Just why are you calling me Courtney? And why from Cory's?" Poor Michael is so confused.

"Uh, I live here too. Cory and I are engaged," she says. Michael starts laughing at the look on my face. If you know anything about Michael, his laughs are never quiet. He just let's it all out. So it comes as no surprise that Courtney hears him. This may as well be a three way call, damn.

"Who's that Sarah? I heard about Rob. Sorry by the way."

"Okay, first of all, it's none of your business who that is. Second, you are a stupid and utter moron for being with that... that... thing, but that's none of my business. Third, why are you even calling me?"

"Right. So uh, we saw Damien the other day." Great. I should've known.

"What did he say? What did he want?" This may give me more information to tell Mikey.

"He asked where you were. Cory had heard you were in DC so he told him, and told him about Rob - "

"CORY YOU FUCKING PRICK! AND I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME! FIRST YOU CANT KEEP YOUR DICK IN YOUR PANTS WITH GIRLS HALF YOUR AGE, NOW YOU CANT KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT EITHER?"

I look at a stunned Michael, "You're legal, she wasn't!" I tell him.

"Who? What? Sarah?" Courtney says through the phone. God this is confusing.

"What? I'm on Skype with my boyfriend, who's not in town right now. Yes, he's half my age, but at least he's legal, unlike your fiancé who doesn't know how to keep his dick where it belongs, even around 14 year old girls when he was almost 30!" The look on Michael's face is priceless. "I can't believe he told Damien all that! What does he want? Start talking Courtney!" That wiped the humor off Mikey's face.