chapter 82

Sarah

The rest of the day drags on but I'm finally heading home. It's quite easy to get back into our routine and the night goes smoothly.

"How was your flight?" I ask Michael. I'm lying in bed and he just arrived in LA to the 5sos house.

"Boring as shit. I don't like airplane bathrooms without you." I chuckle at his standard Mikey response. Somehow I knew that was coming!

"I don't like my bed without you either," I tell him. It's too easy to get used to sleeping in his arms, so it feels weird, empty, without him. He tells me about the fans at the airport, all the questions about me, and how everything was mostly positive. That's a good sign. We talk for about 20 minutes before I start to yawn, so we say our good nights and goodbyes and hang up. Within minutes, I'm asleep.

The week goes by fairly quickly, and before I know it it's Friday. I should be excited but it's hard for two reasons. One is because 5sos leaves in the morning for England, which is going to make contact with Mikey very challenging, but also because today would've been my anniversary. I have a lot of mixed feelings about it, because I honestly don't know where we would be right now if his plane hadn't crashed. Would we have been able to work things out, or would I be absolutely miserable? I wasn't in a place to support myself if it hadn't been for Michael. Fate sure does have a way of interceding at the right time, that's for sure. As horrible of a person as it may make me sound, I think the crash really was a blessing in disguise.

"Sarah?" James interrupts my thoughts. "Can I speak to you a minute?" The undertone in his voice is disturbing and I don't like it. This can't be good.

"What's up?" I ask as I shut the door to his office behind me. I'm really getting nervous as he motions for me to have a seat.

"So, I took it upon myself, as a safety precaution for one of our employees," meaning me, "to contact our travel personnel and have them keep an eye out for Damien's name." Oh shit. "It appears as if he has taken a flight into Regan National, due to arrive in an hour." Fuck fuck fuck. Okay Sarah, stay strong. You can handle this.

"You haven't told Michael, have you?" He told me he wouldn't, but I need to be sure.

"No, but - "

"Good. Let's keep it that way. I can handle Damien."

"Sarah, you're the one who told me he was psychotic, literally, with suicidal and homicidal tendencies. I don't like this."

"We are NOT telling Michael unless we absolutely have to James, okay?" He sighs heavily before agreeing. "Thank you."

Let's just make my horrible day worse. Why me? Why now? After 23 years? Because all of a sudden my picture popped up all over twitter and he remembered, "Oh yeah, I remember her! That's the one that got away. That's the one that broke up with me because I'm a psychotic freak"? Lucky me. Do I think he would ever harm me or the kids? Not likely. Do I think he'd try to scare the shit out of me to take him back? Absolutely. That's the part I worry about. But who knows? If I'm lucky, he's sorted himself out and wants to apologize for the shit he pulled in the past, the threats against my parents.... If I'm lucky.

I text the kids once they're home from school to not open the door for anyone, even if they know the person. The only four people I can be sure that Damien wouldn't be able to get to because of their security are in Los Angeles. Thank God it's Friday! I have two days to figure this shit out.

Once the day's over, I say goodbye and head home. After saying hello to the kids, I go change my clothes into pajamas and check to make sure Rob's 9mm is in the same place. Just to be safe. I know how to use it and I'm not afraid to if it came down to that.