Chapter 29

Sarah

Why me? Why can't I ever learn to keep my mouth shut? He must think I'm some bipolar freak. I'm a mess then I'm laughing and having fun, then I'm a mess again. Happiness can never last for me. I have a day and a half left. I've said it before, but I seriously am not going to let Rob ruin it for me anymore. I send him a text, as well as Grace, that I'm shutting my phone off. I tell Grace to call Ness' phone if its an emergency.

"Mikey?" I ask him.

"Yeah?"

I shut my phone off and hand it to him. He looks at me confused. "I'm sick of thinking about my problems, I'm sick of dealing with him, I'm sick of him bringing me down when I'm having fun. So I shut it off. I just want to have fun with you while I still can. No more rollercoaster, just you and me!"

"Grace?" he asks.

"I told her to call Ness if she needs to get ahold of me. She has her number now." He smiles a big smile.

"So what do you want to do?"

"Go swimming. It's mid November and it's hot as hell outside! The last time I went to the beach in November was in Thailand 20 years ago!"

"Then let's get ready to go to the beach!" he says happily, putting my phone in his pocket. He pulls me out of the booth, leaving more than enough money on the table to cover our bill, and we run back to Ness' apartment. I quickly change into my sexiest (haha) bikini, throwing one of Michael's tee shirts over top, slip into flip flops, and I'm ready to go.

"Dave will be here soon. Uh, there's just one thing," he says, running his hand through the back of his hair. Oh shit.

"What?" I'm scared now.

"I have to stop by my house first."

"Ok. I'll just stay in the car."

"Uh, they uh, my parents want you to come for lunch."

"WHAT?! Nu uh. No way! Mikey! There is no way you are taking a 40 year old married mother of three, whose oldest is only three years younger than you to meet your folks! They probably want to put a restraining order on me or some shit like that! You're out of your mind!"

He's laughing at me now. Laughing.

"How is this funny, Mikey? I would castrate Mason if he brought home someone my age!"

"Sarah! Oh my god! For being such a big fan, and a 'Mikey girl' you don't seem to know much about my mum!"

"I know you're a momma's boy, and Momma Clifford is protective of her only child. I have a momma's boy and if..." if she made him happy, I'd be happy for him. Isn't Tom, one of my best guy friends' wife the same age as my mom? His grandson is the same age as his son from his first marriage.

"Oh fuck, alright. Let's go meet Momma Clifford!"

Once Dave arrives, we get in the car and head to the Clifford"s house. I start drilling him with questions.

"How much do they know? Do they know I'm a fan, do they know we've been sleeping together? Do they know about the list? What about Ash?"

"They know absolutely everything, except Ashton. I didn't share that part. But they also don't know about the problems with you and Rob, or how you feel about me." I nod, taking it all in. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Michael

She's so nervous, it's comical.

"Sarah, stop fidgeting! Just be yourself and they'll love you as much as I do!" We're walking up the path to the door and I need to calm her down, so I take her face in my hands and kiss her as calmly and gently as I can, until I feel her nerves settle down.