chapter 34

Sarah

"Okay seriously? Can you NOT do this right now?" I ask Rob, with ice in my voice. He laughs and goes back to his emails. 

"What?" I look at Luke. "Most of the fanfics out there are about you anyway!" I say, trying to laugh and make this no big deal.

I swear I'm bright red right now! I'd be really surprised if I'm not. They all laugh and Luke turns back around, with a big smile on his face. Can I go back to sleep?

Michael

This is comical to watch. I know she's getting mad, but she's really embarrassed at the same time. I don't like the idea of her reading fanfics about Luke, but she's been reading them a lot by the sounds of it, and it didn't change the way she feels about me, so I can't complain.

She put her headphones in and I peek over to see her turn on Sounds Good Feels Good. She skips straight to Jet Black Heart and closes her eyes with a smile. She likes listening to me sing and it touches my heart even more.

Sarah

I'm so screwed up right now. I feel like I can't talk to anyone without getting embarrassed, self conscious, or pissed off, so I just put in my earbuds. As always, I turn on Sounds Good Feels Good. I skip to Jet Black Heart because I love Mikey's voice, and it suits my life right now. I close my eyes and let my mind wander. Of course it's memories of the past two weeks and I really wish I wasn't heading home.  I continue listening in silence until Broken Home comes on. I take a deep breath as it starts and then I feel Michaels hand slide underneath my own as he winds our fingers together.

Rob must have heard my sigh and he takes an ear bud out, putting it in his own. He smirks at first as he recognizes it as 5sos, but it fades quickly as he listens to the lyrics.

Rob

Of course she's listening to 5sos. That's all she listens to! Even sitting next to them, she still is listening to it.

The bridge catches my attention and I am getting the gist of this song. When I look at Sarah, her eyes are glossy and sad.

You've gotta let it go, you're losing all your hope
Nothing left to hold, locked out in the cold
You painted memories then washed out all the scenes
I'm stuck in between a nightmare and lost dreams

Hey mum, hey dad
When did this end?
Where did you lose your happiness?
I'm here alone inside of this broken home
Hey mum, hey dad
When did this end?
Where did you lose your happiness?
I'm here alone inside of this broken home
Who's right, who's wrong
Who really cares?
The fault, the blame, the pain's still there
I'm here alone inside of this broken home
This broken home

What Michael said earlier replays in my mind as I listen to this song.

"Play that one again," I tell Sarah and she glances at Michael, then starts it at the beginning.

They would yell, they would scream, they were fighting it out
She would hope, she would pray, she was waiting it out
Holding onto a dream
While she watches these walls fall down
Sharp words like knives, they were cutting her down
Shattered glass like the past, it's a memory now
Holding onto a dream
While she watches these walls fall down

Hey mum, hey dad
When did this end?
Where did you lose your happiness?
I'm here alone inside of this broken home
Who's right, who's wrong
Who really cares?
The fault, the blame, the pain's still there
I'm here alone inside of this broken home, this broken home