Chapter One: A Change

Start from the beginning

"Here I am." I announced as we arrived at my door. I jammed the key in, twisted the door free then pushed down on the modern steel handle. As I walked in I realised what he'd meant by 'really putting in' for this one. It was absolutely gorgeous.

As he sat the boxes down and went back to the car to grab the others, I stood and admired my new home. The walls — those that were not made of glass from top to bottom — were mostly painted a medium taupe aside from the feature walls which were either an expensive red or pure white. The kitchen was stunning, it was completely white, modern and glossy. The appliances were a variety of colours but all stainless steel, making them look even more expensive against the glossy white cupboards and grey stone bench top. Opening the pantry I was overwhelmed with space and looking around, the luxuries didn't stop there. The fridge, dishwasher and microwave were already available and as an interior decorator I was glad I wouldn't be spending any time on appliances, that was always my least favourite part.

The apartment had a large living area connected to a dining area as an open space, two rooms as described; one with an ensuite, walk in robe and balcony and the other with a floor to ceiling shelving system. I immediately decided the latter to be my office and couldn't help the squeal that escaped my lips as I exited onto the balcony.

The view was amazing, I could see the water from here and bet I could walk there in 3 minutes tops. Guess these are the perks of living in New York, I thought to myself.

"That's all of them." Vince breathed as he sat the final box on the pile next to the door. I smiled gratefully, rushed over and engulfed him into a massive bear hug. I felt as though I hadn't shown enough gratitude earlier and made the wrong impression.

"Thank you so much Vince, that was so nice of you. How can I ever show my thanks?" I praised after taking a step back. He stood still shocked from the unexpected show of affection. Definitely not something he'd been expecting.

"No need really, it was my pleasure. Have a nice time settling in and if you need anything else just give me a shout, I'm only one door away!" he smiled as he departed my apartment, closing the door behind him.

I frowned realising how wrongly I had judged him earlier as well, I had thought he was only being kind because he found me attractive when he really just wanted to lend a helping hand. I needed to restore my faith in humanity or one day it will cost me more than just a possible friendship.

But for now I was hungry, I hadn't gone shopping yet and had nothing to eat. Which means time to go out, maybe I'll make a couple new friends.

———————

It had taken a while to find a restaurant on Google maps that took to my liking, I was a picky eater, I couldn't help that. I knew I'd made the right decision when I drove up to the family restaurant next to the waterfront, it was only a few blocks from my place and totally user friendly which was what I thought when I picked it. The scene in front of me confirmed that assumption, it was filled to the brim with children and families. No drunk men, perfect for someone like me.

A man in a waiter uniform greeted me from behind a counter which I took to be the reception. I smiled as I walked up, I pretended not to notice the once over he gave me and kept my eyes glued to his,  which I knew was a sure way to let the person know you'd been listening.

"Ah yes, can I get a table please?" I grinned down at him hoping to seem polite. He nodded with sure lust in his eyes and typed quickly into his dusty computer, handing me a table number he wished me a good night, I returned the favour.

After a filling dinner and a relaxing walk beside the water, by myself. I had jumped into my car and made my way back to what I now called home. Unfortunately as I popped my keys down on the counter, realisation hit that I didn't have a bed. A loud groan escaped my lips and I slid down the wall to the floor.