43: Easy to Manipulate?

Evette rolls her eyes as they finally get to their front lawn. She gets down and makes it an effort to slam the door of his car, getting Domen to widen his eyes in terror.

He'd just bought that car.

"Look, it's not like it's my fault!" Domen hisses as he steps out as well and marches behind her as she unlocks the front door. "It's not my fault Lavender is easy to manipulate! I am a man and I could sleep with a hundred women and marry none of them or even have the slightest feelings for them. They would mean nothing at the end of the day and it can't be my fault if they willingly offer themselves to us."

Evette turned sharply to shout curses at Domen, only to stop dead as her eyes spot the short figure standing just a few feet from Domen.

In her hands are two large gift bags as she holds up three icecream pops between her fingers.

Her eyes grow wide as her lashes part from the words spilling out of Domen's mouth.

"Don't make that face. You know I'm right." Domen rolls his eyes and Evette shifts his gaze to him in irritation before walking from the front door and past him.

Confused by her action, Domen turns to check where she is going, only to widen his eyes as his eyes meet Lavender's that are nearly soaked in fresh tears.

She glances away and off to the side as her tears behind to burn her eyes while she tries hard to convince herself that she can't cry, especially not in front of Evette who might find it suspicious.

"Lavender..." Evette sighs as she reaches her hand to her shoulders, only to have Lavender step back and trip over the side walk, falling back and ripping the gift bags she was carrying. "Careful, are you okay?!"

"I am, I'm just...." She trails off as she bats her lashes quickly, telling herself not to cry, reminding her sensitive side that it doesn't need to take things seriously all the damn time. "Excuse me."

She hurried onto her feet and dashes for her front door long before neither of them could say a word to her.

Evette clenches her jaw as she watches Lavender open and close her door, disappearing from sight before glancing back at Domen who is still wide eyed.

Wasn't she supposed to be at work?

"I'll fix this, don't go anywhere near her." Evette grits her teeth and leaves Domen where he has been standing since he noticed Lavender.

Unmoving.

Domen clenches his fists as he watches Evette disappear into the house.

Evette steps into the house and takes her heels off before paddling into the kitchen, scanning it with her eyes to catch a glimpse of her before heading into the livingroom to look.

She isn't there either and she rushes straight into the nearly empty room just before her bedroom, knowing Lavender had always found it empty but in a good way to clear her head.

She opens the door and spots Lavender looking into the many boxes she never unpacked since she moved in.

Evette sighs and closes the door behind her as she stares at Lavender's back, knowing too well she isn't looking for anything and only pretending to so that she can hide the fact she's crying.

"Lavender..." Evette sighs as she walks over to her with slow and careful steps, barely making a sound. "I'm sorry."

"Why?" Lavender asks, her voice coming out in gaps as she tries to stop herself from crying. "I should have told you... But I thought that if I just date someone else it will be buried and gone. I didn't know he told you."