49: It's not Lavender

For the hundredth time, Lavender sighs as she watches Domen stand in front and point at countless lines and graphs on the large screen behind him that seems to change at his will.

His hair is different.

Shorter than before with cleaner fades that seem professionally done that it almost looks like it was hand painted or sketched.

Prep for the upcoming wedding.

Having not liked how far the wedding was, Lavender had heard from a little birdie that he told his parents he'd love to get married as soon as possible.

So instead of being months away, it's merely four weeks to the grand and expensive wedding that is worth a child's entire life from birth.

Lavender is well aware it's just his plot to get away from her. Even though they haven't spoken to each other at all for the past month.

It is easier that way.

He's planning on returning to where his main office is, in another country and away from the life he's brought himself into and the trouble be caused.

He wants to disappear.

With no trace.

Lavender could feel he's only running away because of her and she would rather have it that way, anyway.

"That concludes the main segment report. It's a drastic change, but for the better." Domen says as he clicks the button on the laser pointer, turning it off before placing it on a stool beside him. "The sales are already promising progress from the recent remodel, going up by 5%. I'd like to expand it a little, to ensure more coverage. We need more exposure to say the least."

Lavender drops her eyes to a man who has been yawning a lot the entire meeting. He's around her age but clearly hasn't been getting any rest.

Not because he's probably overworked, but she can tell he's been drowning himself in alcohol and football game nights.

Driving himself to the brink of insanity.

He could fall flat at any moment from the fatigue exposed by his slightly swollen dark eye bags.

"In short, I'm only pleased by fifty percent. This company has wasted potential. As for the marketing department, I expect full market recovery by this month's end. Earn back your lost customers and gain more." He says as his eyes scan the room, taking in the faces of the women and men as he's well aware of who is in which department.

That is... until his eyes land on Lavender who is still looking at the dozing man sitting across from her.

Her hands are crossed on her chest as she seems to be studying the man, though in reality she actually isn't and is lost in thought.

She's gotten slimmer since then and it's only been a month since they said their last goodbyes to something that didn't get the chance to develop.

The smile she usually had on had vanished long ago and now what remains is her glossy eyes that never seem to waver.

Her hair is a little different now than before. It has more volume and is more shiny and silky than it used to be.

The face that used to barely have any makeup on now has a thin layer of it, making her look smoother than she used to look.

She looks more sophisticated and a little more elegant than before, well, that's to others.

To Domen, she looks like a completely different person, even though she hasn't applied that much makeup to make a difference, Domen felt even the slightest change changed her entirely.

Did it bother him?

"That said, this is the end of the meeting." Domen says as he walks to his desk and grabs his files. "I expect forecast reports by the end of today from what we've discussed and suggestions for corrections and improvements. You are all adjourned."

Heà walks out of the room as the rest get up from their seats, starting to mummer as they talk about what to do next.

Having no one in particular to talk to, Lavender gets up from her seat and walks out of the meeting room, pulling her phone out as she feels it vibrate.

It's just a greeting message from Walter.

Just as promised, he left the company, though he really didn't tell Lavender the reason why.

He simply left and didn't explain himself.

She smiles slightly at the text before glancing up seconds before running into a woman who also isn't looking where she is going.

Sighing in relief, she walks towards the elevator while dropping her gaze once more to her phone, greeting him back.

She steps into the elevator and reaches for her floor's button, only to notice it's already been clicked. She glances to her side, just to see who she's with, only to stare into the familiar dark eyes of Domen Southren, who is also staring back at her.

They don't say anything as Lavender draws her eyes from him and down to her phone.

She's always tried hard to avoid riding an elevator with him. Especially if there is no one else inside.

She could curse her obliviousness when she's distracted.

"Ms Carter! Wait!" The loud scream from a woman catches both Domen and Lavender off guard seconds before the elevator closes.

Luckily enough, Lavender holds her hand out to stop the doors from sealing shut, flinching slightly when it hurts her.

"Oh thank you..." The woman is dressed in a bright red and yellow jumpsuit with a logo of the delivery company she works for. "This... This is for you."

She says out of breath but from her young face and petite body, Lavender's could tell she's much younger and could be nineteen.

The smile on her innocent face makes Lavender smile slightly as she takes the signing pad from her and signs on it before giving it back.

"The basket is for you." She says as she hands the basket to Lavender who widens her eyes at the white roses placed on the sides surrounding countless snacks and chocolates nested on the center.

"Uh... Thanks?" Lavender furrows her brows as she smiles at her and rushes off.

Lavender steps back into the elevator and reaches for the card sitting on a plastic stand, opening it to check who sent it as she suspects Walter.

Been a while since we went to that concert. I saw these roses and they reminded me of you. Enjoy the snacks.

Cameron.

Lavender raises her brows as she's completely taken aback by his gesture.

Feeling her cheeks slightly turn warm from the memory of the short but determined kiss.

Domen noticing the name, can't help but roll his eyes slightly before turning to glance at the numbers above the elevator.

"Hello?" Lavender almost giggles, getting Domen to glance down at her, only to notice she's on her phone. "Yeah I got the flowers, thanks. I didn't expect them though, I thought the delivery girl was giving me the wrong thing. Oh.... Uh.... Sure, I'm free. Alright, see you then I guess."

She cuts the call seconds before the door opens. Domen steps out first, getting Lavender to glance up at him for a moment before stepping out as well.

She makes her way to her office, feeling her smile unable to leave her lips as she stares down at the countless snacks he placed in there.

Placing the basket on the desk, she quickly fishes out a chocolate bar and opens it in seconds before taking a large chunk of it into her mouth.

The rich savory chocolate arouses her taste buds, bringing her cheeks to a soft red as she closes her eyes and bobs her head to the gentle embrace of the creamy chocolate wrapped around her tongue.

Completely oblivious to Domen's eyes staring into her office with her back turned to him while she starts to him slightly and bob her head side to side.

She sure likes eating.