Prologue

Lavender.

Lavender?

"Lavender!"

A hand reached out and grabbed her shoulder, shaking her a bit aggressively and snapping her out of her thoughts.

Lavender forced a smile as she stared into the familiar blue eyes belonging to the only friend in her life, Evette.

"What's wrong?" She asked as she leaned back into her seat as Lavender stared at her a moment longer.

Ah... I shouldn't be surprised. She's more beautiful... Aria thought to herself as she stared at Evette's stunning eyes up to her small but drowning feline eyes that she had shaped out with a smoky eyeshadow.

"You just suddenly zoned out." Evette smiled at her before turning her gaze to the other one person seat with them on the table. "Her one night stand didn't respond to her since."

She told the other one.

Lavender clenched her jaw as she turned her gaze to the man sitting  across from her.

He was also looking back at her with empty eyes and a serious gaze.

Almost threatening her.

This was the first time she was meeting him, meeting him, Evette's fiancee.

"Evette... It's not something he'd want to know." Lavender chuckled with unease as she leaned towards Evette who giggled under her breath.

Lavender's eyes trailed back towards her fiancee who hadn't stopped looking at her since she had sat down.

She could tell he wasn't lost in thought either, because his eyes kept moving, scanning her entire body.

Anyone could have thought it was just his perverted side taking over, bit Lavender could tell that he was judging her.

Unlike Evette, Lavender wasn't on good terms with her bank account. It never had enough money for anything and she couldn't afford the fancy things in life.

Her job was just an average job with nothing fancy. She wasn't in any high position and blended in with everyone, unnoticeable with nothing to gloat for.

The only expensive dress she could afford was the one she was wearing.

As a matter-a-fact, it wasn't her's, she was only renting it.

"What do you do for a living?" He suddenly spoke for the first time since they had arrived.

Lavender looked around herself, knowing it was her question but trying to play dumb to avoid it.

Unlike his fiancee, Evette, who was a highly paid model, Lavender had nothing to show off.

"I just sort out files." She shrugged her shoulders and reached out to the glass of water, taking a sip with a shaky hand. "Nothing fancy."

"Mh." Was all he responded with before turning his attention elsewhere.

Clearly displeased with the answer.

Evette frowned when she noticed his irritated expression and leaned back into her seat with crossed arms.

She then shifted her gaze to Lavender's who was already itching to leave when the main course hadn't arrived yet.

"She works hard at her job, she was actually the employee of the month last month." Evette defended as she leaned onto the table and laced her fingers together, leaning closer to her fiancee.

His eyes dragged lazily towards her as his brows furrowed into a slight angered look.

"Was." He pointed out as he reached out and patted her elbows that were on the table, instructing her, without words, not to put her elbows there.

Evette managed to know what he was tapping her for and leaned back and away from the table, frowning immediately as she watched him cross his arms on his chest.

This was the first time she was meeting him as well, since he had been busy with school and his entire career.

He had no time for phone calls, video chats or any form of social interaction. He was fixed on his wealth and nothing mattered.

Being engaged to Evette since he was twelve and she was fourteen gave him the luck he needed and the free time he otherwise would have lost trying to court anyone.

His life was perfectly planned out and he wanted to live it perfectly.

"Yeah, but she tried." Evette pointed out as Lavender stared at her fiancee.

Just like he did to her, she trailed her eyes from his green eyes up to his hair, noticing on how well his hair was taken care of down to his own face.

Not a spot in sight.

His jaw was defined, along with his neck covered in fine muscles. As much as his jacket tried to hide the large chest and biceps, she could see his t-shirt fitting perfectly on him like second skin, exposing the shape hidden inside.

This suit was well pressed and without a spot in sight.

Lavender could only roll her eyes as she leans back into the seat, clenching her jaw.

He was handsome and well dressed in expensive top shelf clothes.

"Trying isn't enough." He commented as he diverts his eyes to Lavender, catching her staring at him already. "In this competitive world, staying on the shallow ends can get you killed."

"Come-on, no everyone isn't a prodigy like you, Domen." Evette sighed as she threw one leg over the other, starting to feel her nerve eat at her in place of Lavender. "People are different."

"People who don't try hard enough, of course." He said just as the waiter brought their meals. "You're a successful model, she should look up to you and try to be something more. I'd have thought you'd be more into successful friends."

"She's enough." Evette shrugged her shoulders as Lavender rolled her eyes in annoyance.

Clearly his life has always been perfect from the start.

A rich boy. Lavender thought to herself as she grabbed her fork and pierced through a few peas on her plate. His life was probably served to him on a silver platter. Just like Evette who grew up in a mansion, from what I've heard, he's grown up in a castle. The lucky bastard.

"I didn't have the privilege to get into expensive schools, so I wouldn't be on either yours and Evette's level soon after graduating." Lavender pointed out as she glanced towards Domen who glanced back at her.

"It's not about background." He said as he dropped his gaze down to his plate. "You lack the motivation."

Lavender decided not to answer this one, feeling it nagging at her throat as she grabbed her knife and began to cut the steak on her plate.

Rich bastard.