The Curse Breaker Part 7

Wei Ying is shocked into freezing where he stands.

Lan Zhan, upon realising who this is, immediately falls to his knees.

"Wei Ying, I am sorry!" His forehead touches the ground.

Wei Ying doesn't know what to do. In the past, and only when he was thoroughly drunk had he allowed himself to think about Lan Zhan. And never, ever, had he thought he would see the day Lan Zhan was begging for his forgiveness.

It feels like an awful dream, surreal complete with hazy edges.

"W-what are you doing?" His voice comes out harsher than he intends, and he sees Lan Zhan flinch.

Somehow, he manages to make Lan Zhan stand up, but then he immediately lets him go as if he's been burned. Wei Ying whirls away, the tight feeling in his chest only increasing.

"Wait, please!"

The anguish in Lan Zhan's voice is too sharp, raw, and painful enough to make Wei Ying stand still.

His feet are frozen as if the famous Gusu snow has melted and turned into ice around his ankles, preventing Wei Ying from moving. This isn't fair, he thinks, looking around suddenly. This place seems terribly familiar...in the most horrible way.

Cloud Recesses is known for their love of old things, for refusing to change and for trying to preserve the smallest of things, so it stands to reason that this public courtyard is the same as it was, thirteen years ago.

The irony of this moment makes Wei Ying want to laugh bitterly. How apt that they are both here, at the same time and the same place, causing each other pain. Except today, their positions are reversed.

Thirteen years ago, it was Wei Ying who had been pushed onto the cold, hard, unforgiving ground, all because he had dared to fall in love. By Lan Zhan, with Lan Zhan.

"What for?" Wei Ying's throat hurts, and as a result, his voice comes out rougher. "So you can tell me once again how much you detest my presence, how you never thought about marrying anyone, but if you had to, it certainly wouldn't be me? How you had never met anyone so obnoxious, so rude, so unable to abide by your clan's rules, so-"

A large warm palm fits itself over his lips to prevent them from moving.

"Please stop!" It's a choked out plea.

For a brief second, Wei Ying feels ashamed. But his own self-preservation kicks in, and his anger flares up. He steps away.

Lan Zhan has never seen him look so beautiful before, a silver fire spitting live sparks back at him, and he'll take this passionate, livid man, all of his violent fury and hatred over the paper doll Wei Ying any day.

"Just... Please, hear me out. Then, if you want nothing to do with me, I won't stop you from leaving." Lan Zhan is so relieved when he receives the slightest tilt from Wei Ying's head.

The action is so small that he wonders if it was even there in the first place.

It is still a benevolence, and Lan Zhan is going to take anything he can get from this tiniest opportunity.

When he and XiChen landed outside Uncle Qiren's quarters, his brother had reluctantly told him Wei Ying's conditions for giving his help, and though it had torn another hole in his ragged heart, Lan Zhan was forced to accept it.

If Wei Ying didn't want to see him, then that was entirely possible if Lan Zhan stayed outside the building. He could be discreet, and Wei Ying would never know he was this close to him.

When Wei Ying began speaking, it was torture on another level.

Lan Zhan's ears thirsted to hear his voice, the lilting cadence, his musical tones, and the way he shone with confidence when Wei Ying knew he was right! Lan Zhan felt so proud of him, especially when he gave Shifu a good talking to. It was so exciting that it made goosebumps appear all over his skin.