Speed Dialed Love

Lan Zhan was having a bad day.

He stepped in a puddle and needed to change his clothes, shoes and socks, and consequently, was late for a meeting, and then had to have the CEO of Yao Industries forcibly removed from his offices.

And to make matters even worse, he hadn't heard from Wei Ying all day, and he missed his husband.

Every message went unread, and phone calls went to voicemail.

His sister phoned instead, in a hurry to pass a message onto him, that if Lan Zhan wanted to speak to Wei Ying, he should call Jiang Cheng instead, because they were babysitting together, and Wei Ying's phone had stopped working for some reason.

Just another bad thing to add to an already worsening day...

When he got home, he saw a tray of chocolates on the coffee table, and they looked so inviting, he had to have one. Wei Ying always said that chocolate made everything so much better. He had even shown him scientific proof that he was right, and while Lan Zhan had a sweet tooth, it was for ice cream and other lickable delights...

He sighed and popped one in his mouth.

When they tasted a little funny, he stopped by the time he swallowed the third one.

And then he saw the lid, which had been put face down on the table.

Chocolate liqueur truffles.

Oh no...

He must have fallen asleep after that, because time became a hazy dream of trying to stay upright in a world which wouldn't stop spinning, so Lan Zhan decided to lie down instead.

He missed Wei Ying.

So much.

He should definitely tell him that, and Lan Zhan congratulated himself on having the best ideas even if his phone had suddenly grown a twin.

He poked at the first name beginning with Wei.

Lan Zhan had to hold the phone a distance away because the ringing was making his head hurt.

"Hello?" Wei Ying's strangely deeper voice said.

"Wei Ying? Where are you?" Lan Zhan slurred. "I need you. Come home!"

"A-Zhan? Is that you?"

Of course it's me, he thinks, irritated. And you should be here.

"Why did you leave me?" Lan Zhan says, unsure why Wei Ying is calling him by another name. "And say Lan Zhan! SAY IT!"

There's a shuffling noise in the speaker, and then there's a higher pitched voice talking to him.

"A-Zhan?"

"Wei Ying? Why do you sound like a girl? Talk properly!" Lan Zhan shouts, not really understanding why Wei Ying was playing a prank on him.

"A-Zhan, have you been drinking?" Fake-Wei Ying accuses him.

"No." Lan Zhan says, remembering that Lans did not lie, and why would Fake-Wei Ying ask him that?

"Where's Wei Ying?" Fake-Wei Ying asks him.

"Not here." Lan Zhan replies, mournfully.

Wei Ying should always be with him. Lan Zhan didn't like this day.

"Hate Friday." He adds, sinking into depression.

"Um...A-Zhan, today is Monday. Remember Wei Ying said he had to babysit with Jiang Cheng today?" The voice became a little kinder. "His phone broke, maybe that's why you can't get in touch with him?"