The Flowers in Your Garden Part 3

The letters were arriving regularly now and Lan WangJi was beyond relieved. But in all his years at Cloud Recesses, since the time when he was a child and used to go to visit his mother once a month, he had never felt this level of anxiety either.

Suibian was coming.

Lan WangJi could feel his stomach doing somersaults every time this thought occurred to him, and this flip-flopping motion was making him unable to settle. His meditation suffered, and so did his appetite.

What would Suibian think of him? What if Suibian wanted to meet him? What could Lan WangJi say to that?

Would he refuse?

Some of these questions were giving him heartburn with the level of anxious thoughts running around in his head.

Luckily, only one person noticed.

Lan WangJi was trying harder to pay attention to his Uncle's classes too, and his Uncle didn't notice, but his Xiongzhang did.

And so when the knock came again on the door of the Jingshi, Lan WangJi dutifully opened the door and bowed, but today, he was glad to see him.

Before his brother could sit down, Lan WangJi stepped into his space, but made no move to do anything else, relying on the certainty that his Xiongzhang would know what he wanted.

XiChen was shocked.

Lan WangJi never, ever initiated physical contact.

XiChen quickly held him close, before his baby brother could change his mind.

"What's wrong, Didi?" He asked, softly.

He was reminded of the last time he had hugged his brother, when their mother had passed away. Lan WangJi had withdrawn from any physical touching since then, and XiChen missed this feeling. He missed being able to care for his brother like this, to offer silent support.

Lan WangJi waited for a few minutes before shifting out of his embrace and handing him something. Then he went back to his seat at the little table and poured tea for the both of them.

XiChen looked at the letter before sitting down opposite him.

The fact that his brother was trusting him with something so important was in itself a humbling feeling, but also, he knew that Lan WangJi would never do something like that unless he was worried about something.

"Are you sure, Didi?" He asked once more.

"Mn."

"Okay, if you want me to read it." He still paused, waiting until Lan WangJi nodded slightly.

Lan WangJi knew this letter among all of them was the most personal, but it also was making him ask lots of questions and some of them were difficult...he needed a fresh pair of eyes to peruse the letter, and give some friendly feedback.

And XiChen was his only choice.

XiChen opened the letter and began to read silently.

Dear Bichen, (Day 4 - I have stuffed my fist into my mouth to stop myself from screaming out loud)!!!

Guess what? GUESS WHAT?????

A bunch of us decided to fly by sword and we. Are. In. Caiyi Town. RIGHT NOW!!!!!

I am sooo nervous, by the way.

The lectures by themselves are a little bit intimidating anyway, plus the Lans have a rep. I am being told constantly not to get into trouble but really? Would I do something like that on purpose??