A Stitch in Time Part 7

Wen Qing stuck her head around the door, looking for Wei Ying. She couldn't help but smile at the two dark heads pressed together, poring over the sketches Wei Ying had come up in with in a matter of hours.

Already, Wei Ying was positively blooming, his face lighter, much happier in these three days of having Lan Zhan here and with him, than in all the three years put together. And he wasn't the only one who had undergone a transformation; Lan Zhan too, looked relaxed and happy.

She kind of wished she didn't have to interrupt them, but the news had just come in.

"Guys?" She called out.

They both looked up at the same time.

"Nie MingJue, he can meet us on Sunday. It's off the books, a favour, so we're going out to his place."

Wei Ying nodded slowly.

"Sunday is good, right? The shop's closed, so you can come too."

"Of course, I'm coming! How could I leave something so important to the both of you?" She rolled her eyes.

Wei Ying smiled gratefully at her, and she disappeared back to the shop floor.

"Wei Ying!"

Suddenly, Lan Zhan was kissing him, an almost brutal, bruising kiss, full of panic.

Wei Ying tore away, totally confused, and they stared at each other for a few seconds before Lan Zhan enveloped him in a fierce hug.

"I tried to call Wei Ying..." He murmured.

"Ah...I must have gotten distracted." Wei Ying sagged against him. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"What is on Wei Ying's mind?" Lan Zhan asked him calmly, now.

"Er...nothing..."

Lan Zhan gave him a doubtful look.

"It's just that...meeting with a lawyer, however informally, it just makes it all real, you know?" He admitted.

His fists had clenched the fabric of Lan Zhan's shirt at the back of his waist. He made himself let go and stepped away, ignoring how much he already missed the feeling of silent support and strength he received.

"Want to talk about it?" Lan Zhan asked him.

"Not if I can help it." Wei Ying laughed ruefully. "Let's just get on with finalising the designs we want to keep, huh? There's less than two months and we need to decide."

Lan Zhan searched his eyes for a few minutes, before turning to the sketch book in front of them. If Wei Ying needed space right now, then that's what he could give him...for a while. But they could talk about it later.

The shop was getting busier too, with people coming in desperate for last minute Christmas party dresses, and Wei Ying was inundated with clothes that needed fixing, from zippers to lost buttons. Lan Zhan stuck by his side for most of it, and when they caught a break, he was told in no uncertain terms to go and fetch more clothes from his apartment so he wouldn't have to wear the same ones. So far they had been washing his clothes at night, and drying them in time for the morning.

He didn't want to go, but Wei Ying kissed him into agreeing, promising more to come, if he was a good boy.

Lan Zhan intended to be a very good boy.

*****

It took longer than he thought, because the freezing temperatures had caused a pipe to burst in the neighbour's apartment next to him, and it somehow turned into a conversation that Lan Zhan couldn't walk away from, even though he was inching towards his own door. Unfortunately, the annoying woman kept coming closer.