The Dating Game Part 1

Jiang Cheng looked at his watch for the hundredth time and frowned. Nie Huaisang patted his arm reassuringly.

"He'll be here soon. You know him, Wei WuXian hardly ever gets anywhere on time."

Lan WangJi frowned at both of them.

He cleared his throat as impolitely as he could, the sound of which rose high above the general cacophony of the restaurant they were seated in.

"Chill out, my man. I wasn't criticising him in any way." Huaisang defended himself, smiling.

"It was not a compliment." Lan WangJi stated, daring him to argue.

It wasn’t his fault if he didn't like anyone badmouthing his roommate.

He and Wei WuXian had moved in together straight after graduation and since they both got jobs close by, it made the best sense. Besides, what did it matter that Lan WangJi was completely besotted by him? Wei Ying did not need to know that...not yet anyway.

Lan WangJi was just getting used to the idea himself.

He had never actually liked anyone before, so this sudden realisation was just as much a surprise to him as it was to everyone he had told, which was just his brother to date.

Lan WangJi wasn't shy about it...but the problem was, the right time never came along. He thought about telling Wei WuXian in the morning at breakfast time. But then Wei WuXian would suddenly smile and Lan WangJi would forget how to breathe. The whole day would pass by and then they would only meet maybe at lunchtime if he was super lucky, or at night for dinner.

And then, Wei Ying was just so busy all the time, that Lan Zhan wasn't sure when he should say something. Just gathering the courage to do that...he had to fight his rapidly beating heart to get the confidence to open his mouth...and plus, Wei WuXian was so beautiful, so gorgeous...why would he even consider going out with someone like Lan WangJi?

Wei WuXian was popular too. He had so many friends, a different friend circle for each activity he partook in. There was his work friends, high school friends, uni friends and football friends. In between that and the extra stuff he did for work, there was hardly any time left over for them.

Lan WangJi missed the nights when they had used to sit on the couch together. They would share a blanket and huddle, balancing a bowl of popcorn on their laps. Wei WuXian was a tactile person, and inevitably the evening would end with his head in Lan WangJi's lap and his own fingers running through Wei Wuxian’s hair.

Those were the best evenings.

He sighed to himself.

Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes.

"Why don't you just tell him?" He snapped.

"Tell who what?"

Wei WuXian, the man in question, came to their table like a hurricane on fire.

He pulled off his coat and scarf, draping them on the back of his chair so that most of them were on the floor; Lan WangJi quickly picked them up and arranged them better before he could sit down, and then gazed in loving wonder at this beautiful man sitting right next to him.

His mouth was completely dry.

Wei WuXian was a work of art.

No question about it.

His long hair was tied up in a messy bun, the odd tendrils loose and framing his face. His wide, large silver eyes shone with a burning intensity that Lan WangJi felt he was drowning in. His beauty was incomparable.