Chapter 40

Bree Tanner

She sits silently and unmoving next to Bella. Her brows furrowed together in a complex swirl of emotions. Bella was unmoving, eyes closed and lay in an open room with a view of the surrounding forest. The calming scenery held little hold over her. Her mind wanders and turns to find reasons.

Bree knew, well, could plainly tell Bella was flirting with her. She wrote it off as a quirk of the silly clumsy human. Besides, Bella was mortal while she was dead and immortal. It wouldn't have worked out either way, whether she wished otherwise or not. But now, the silly clumsy human lay as still as a statue on a blacked soft table.

In her silent pondering, the door to the room opened. Bree looked up who entered, the first after around two days of the attack. They didn't wish to enter, or perhaps out of respect to let her be alone with Bella. Rosalie entered the room, her gaze held a knowing look, sending Bree a small smile as she took a seat next to her.

"I know," Rosalie said, breaking the silence between the two, "I know what you're going through. It's very similar to me and Serena."

"And what's that?"

Rosalie chuckles, crossing her legs as she leans with an arm on it, resting her chin on her hand. Bree had never seen Rosalie smile without Serena or Leah close by, but it made her stunning. While she found Leah's description a bit comical, it is true that she has the beauty of a Goddess.

"Love, Bree. Or the beginning of one at the very least. You see, Serena was human too when we met. We lived together for months in Alaska before coming to Forks. I hovered around her and spent more time with her than anyone else. We eventually fell in love and became mates. I see the same thing happening with you and Bella."

"Really? I don't particularly have- something- with her. Sure, I find her cute and clumsy, but that's about it."

"Mhm," Rosalie hummed, her smiling becoming pleased with what she heard. "Trust me, Bree. You're going to fall hard and fast when she wakes up. Trust me on that and you'll be ever so grateful to have someone like that at your side. It is lonely and bleak without such a special person."

"Perhaps you're right. But it doesn't feel right to just start, I don't know, making out..."

"Then take her on a date. Get the mood to the right place!" Rosalie laughed, "Besides, Bella's been watching you. Don't think I haven't seen you talking with her, or Bella glancing often to you. I have a strong feeling it will be fine."

"Thanks, Rosalie. You're kinder than I thought."

"Family looks out for each other. You're part of our family now," Rosalie says with a comforting voice, placing a hand on her shoulder, "Good luck, Bree. You'll get where you want to be. It took me decades, but I believe you'll get there faster than rigid old me."

"I guess," Bree chuckled softly, "It's nice to hope for it. How are the others?"

"The same as always. Jasper and Carlisle are strategizing on how to tackle Victoria. She has lost her surprise and I am sure she won't wait long."

"Yeah, heard she said something similar. Could be a faint attack, not a personal one," Bree said with a sigh, "We'll be ready. Victoria lets Riley decide everything, or at least everything that has to do with the army. Alice should know when things will go down if she focuses on him."

"Alice is on the case, Bree," Rosalie said as she stood up, "I have been trapped in dark tendril for many years. Do not walk the path I have walked. Hold on to the things that make you happy."

"I will, Rosalie. May I... Uh, talk to Serena? I heard from Bella her past is not, well, great. She refused to say anything about it but I like to talk to her. You know, about mine."