Chapter 3

Serena Platt

Serena was currently waiting in her the hospital room she had called home over the days. Today was the day Esme would bring her to the Cullen residence. She swung her legs as she sat on the edge of the bed, the room filling with the news. One can only be in a silent room for so long. While the TV didn't offer any high-quality shows for her to enjoy, so the news would suffice to just take the silence away.

"... It has been predicted to be playing a larger role in our society. The president has already given away that regulations will be put in place to ensure user safety."

Technology apparently is becoming more and more mainstream. Serena wasn't aware of it and she would probably have difficulty in using it. Using the TV already becomes difficult when the TV remote didn't have any indicators as to what the button does.

"Next we have some local news. The local authorities were alerted to a scene in the middle of the wilderness by an anonymous caller. Our reporter near the scene has been able to confirm that in a burned-down house, bodies were found. The police have not given any details as of yet but signs point to illegal activities. When more information is available, we will be sure to report it. Now, for today's weather..."

The local news made her curious and made her pray she is right in what she is thinking. Whatever happened to them, she is very happy about it. There was no spark of goodness found there. She should ask Rosalie whether it was close to where she found her. It would close the book with a happy ending despite some baggage she has because of it.

Serena's attention turned to two persons entering the room. It brought her a smile along with bubbling warm pulses throughout her body. For once, she actually feels she is starting her life. After fourteen years, her life would begin.

"Serena, are you ready to go home?" Esme's voice rang with barely suppressed joy. It makes Serena wonder whether Esme is even happier than her.

"Got no luggage, so I am good to go. I just need an arm."

"I hope you'll enjoy it with us, Serena," Carlisle said, "Unfortunately, I couldn't take a day off. But I do have a small gift to start your new life."

Serena looked curious as she felt something touch her hand. It was firm but a bit supple. As she let her hands explore the object, it became obvious what it was. A walking stick for blind people.

"Thank you, Carlisle! I never had one before. Finally, I can make the pavement unsafe," Serena chuckled as she stands up and gave the man a very brief hug. "Thank you for all you've done. I truly can't repay you."

The two unnatural parents smiled down at her, Esme already extending her arm for the girl. Her joyful mood is palpable even for a blind person. Serena held her new stick in her left hand while with her right hand held Esme's arms, guiding her out of the hospital. Carlisle bid them a good day and to see them soon, but Serena honestly felt more relaxed with Esme. Perhaps a bit more if it was Rosalie.

"Excited to meet your new family?"

"Yes, I am," she said, but it was only one particular group of the family if she was honest.

"Are you sure? You don't sound so sure," Esme said while she drove out of the parking before entering the road toward home. "I won't be mad if you're worried. Just speak your mind."

"I- Uhm... I don't... feel very comfortable with- you know."

"Ah, I see. Thank you for telling me, dear. Well, I can't really put them out of the house. But to help you, I will ask Rosalie and Alice to stay close to you. Will that help?"