Chapter 4

Serena Platt

Serena finds the Cullens strange. She wonders why every voice of the Cullens or Hale sounds so pleasing to her. It's like they are enticing her to come or something. If that was the sole thing, it would not really stand out as strange. After all, it is just their voices. What she found very strange are the immense portions of food Esme makes for her.

She made ten grilled cheese sandwiches. Who eats so many? Perhaps Emmet who seems very large and bulky from very big muscles. He may eat more than a normal person, but Serena can at most eat two.

The same with dinner where she got large portions of whatever Esme made. Let it be steak to spaghetti with meatballs. All of which tasted amazing yet she could never finish it. While she enjoys being here and feels welcomed, they were keeping something from her. The strange trips at odd hours didn't help either to quell her suspicions.

It felt like how her parents acted in some ways. While she doesn't think the Cullens are involved in crime, it doesn't help the fact Serena is being blindsided, figuratively and literally. And she wonders what it is. Today, where she once again found herself under the tutelage of Rosalie, thinking about what they were hiding. It made reading the book written in braille a bit harder as her focus was somewhere else.

"But you can do it alone, said Serios..."

"Sirius," Rosalie corrected, "Careful that you do not mistake the inverted dot arrangement. Like the i and e."

"Right..."

"You're clearly not into the lesson today. Why'd you ask me to continue?"

"I liked to ask you something," Serena began, her fingers going away from the pages. She shifts on her seat as she rested her hands on her lap. It is for the first in days she did not turn to at least mimic the gesture of looking at someone.

"What's it you want to ask?"

"Promise to be truthful?"

"As if I ever lied to you Serena," Rosalie said with a roll of her eyes, a bit annoyed by the thought she would lie. "Since when would I keep my thoughts to myself?"

"True," Serena chuckled, "but still; you promise?"

"Fine. I promise."

"What is your family involved in? I- I can't help but notice how similar it is with my parents. The strange trips, the oddness of your habits... Please tell me if you are. A-and I can keep a secret! I did it with my parents for years. I am happier here so I will lie as best as I can! There's no way I want to go away..."

Serena's rambling comes to a stop to hear what Rosalie's answer will be. An answer did not come immediately from the beautiful blond. It was the longest pause Serena witnessed with Rosalie who always had a retort or answer ready. Whatever the answer will be, she knows something is up at the very least.

"I can't say."

Serena sighed but nodded in acceptance. The truth will come out eventually. It always does. She let her hand be placed on Rosalie's to say it's okay. What she did not expect was the ice-cold skin. The coldness had two reactions. One was the soft curse of Rosalie who cursed herself for letting herself relax. The second one was Serena calling for Esme's help, her voice not betraying she was scared and afraid for Rosalie. Scared for Rosalie's health as no one should be that cold, even in Alaska.

"Esme! Please quickly come!"

Serena made sure to be loud enough as Esme was working on the other side of the house. She would have to be loud or she would not hear her. Just to be quicker, Serena grabbed her walking stick and firmly took Rosalie's hand.